Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2009 03:00

ST1747: 7x Bios beeps - Core i7 throttling - too less A/C adapter

more and more ST1747 users reports about reducted clock rates of their Intel Core i7, if similary their graphics adapter (ATI HD4650) is under heavy load! But the worse is yet to come, some Core i7 quits working, 7x Bios Beep, Game over, sudden death of the CPU! :emotion-45:

Update: the 7x Beep issue seems to be fixed since Bios A06!

UPDATE 03.2010: STILL OPEN ISSUES OF STUDIO 1747 / BIOS A07
if you have more suggestions for this list, don´t hasitate to inform/contact me!

►Core i7 Throttling
under simultaneous full load of CPU and GPU, Core i7 CPU throttles down to averaged 4x 1100 - 1400 MHz

►Performance between battery and AC power
most Studios runs with a bit more performance if only battery is connected

►Hot 90 watt a/c adapters
under fully load, the serially 90 watt adapter seems to work at/above its performance limit - temperatures over 70°C are not acceptable
 call your local Dell support for a free 130 watt adapter.

►Problems resuming from sleep and/or hibernate
if the 1747 "sleeps" more than 30-60 minutes it´s possible that it don´t resume anymore but turn it off&on "hard" by holding power-button

►Problems with playing FullHD-Streams
freezing/jerking, max. loaded and almost non-responding Studios if playing a FullHD-stream, e.g. Youtube
 possible solution, please look here. New Dell ATI driver in progress.

►Permanent running fan
fan starts causeless running at increased speed shortly after turning the 1747 on. Fan keeps blowing at increased speed, even if Windows boots all over and CPU idles - because of the still-blowing fan only at ~32° C. You can stop the fan only with a reboot or by stressing CPU - if temperature reaches 48°+C, fan slows down to lowest level. Turn off stress test, temperature drops below 48°C, fan turns off then. Confirmed by several users. 4 new users reported me this curious issue in the last few days!

►Too less temperature range for fan
fan needs an extended temperature range in office mode. At the moment fan turns on at ~53°C and off at ~48°C. That causes the fan to start&stop every 10-15 seconds, very bothering

►Cutted sound
If the IDT sound "idles" for a while and you play then any sound, the first ~0.5 seconds are cutted! This happens only one time, following sounds are played correctly! If you stop and wait a few minutes, the next sound after this idle time is cutted again

►Not enough power to USB ports and Firewire
There are pages upon pages of various users all experiencing the same issues.

take also a l@@k at German Studio 1747 FAQ @ Hardware Luxx forum | sorry for my rookie englisch! ^^

8 Posts

February 25th, 2010 07:00

Is far superior in design and quality. The service would also be better as the system is considered med - high end. If you get a Studio / Inspiron, you tend not to register with Engineers, etc. Search back in this thread and you'll see that Dell just jumped all over the XPS version of this unit and they got their 300 watt adapters ASAP. Go with Studio and you'll be waiting forever. I envy you on this, my system died and they didn't give me any say or choice in the matter. They shipped me the the 1747 and it's been a rough one. I do a lot of gaming (World of Warcraft mainly) and it is uncomfortably hot (beyond noticable) next to the touchpad when your hand is resting at the ASDW keys. Sadly, I'm not using this machine anywhere as much as I used my old system.     

Too late! I've already ordered my Studio 17. Purely going by specs, the Studio 17 seems to be a better bet than the XPS 16 (DirectX 11 card). Plus, the XPS 16 on Dell UK STILL comes with a 90W adapter. On speaking to the sales team to get it changed to a 130W, they said that they were not aware of any such problem. Ideally, I'd have waited for resolution, or perhaps till something better came along, but I need that laptop desperately!

You probably are right - I should have gone for the XPS; but on my initial research, that had a number of problems too. Dell show us you love (in a platonic way of course :) ) your Studio customers as well as the XPS ones.

63 Posts

February 25th, 2010 08:00

[quote user="khaledov"]

Yes theres also Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor Software, why is dell providing this?So we can't see our system throtteling ? :emotion-15:

Wouldn't this do the opposite and show you if it was being throttled? It is a desktop gadget from Intel that shows what speed you are running. Got it installed and am checking it out.

Bukket

[/quote]

Yes I got it from intel, right now I dont have my laptop but just to make sure run both(The one from intel and the one from dell) side by side  and check if they are reporting different speeds.

I use the one from intel and I've never seen it reach the 2.8 Ghz. the best Ive ever seen was 2.66 for the turbo boost. (Using A05)

63 Posts

I comapred the two files they are exactely identical (hexadecimal comparaison)

So Bukket you will be ablae now to see your system throttle :emotion-15:

59 Posts

Yes theres also Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor Software, why is dell providing this?So we can't see our system throtteling ? :emotion-15:

Wouldn't this do the opposite and show you if it was being throttled? It is a desktop gadget from Intel that shows what speed you are running. Got it installed and am checking it out.

Bukket

59 Posts

I do a lot of gaming (World of Warcraft mainly) and it is uncomfortably hot (beyond noticable) next to the touchpad when your hand is resting at the ASDW keys. Sadly, I'm not using this machine anywhere as much as I used my old system.     

Take the battery out while playing. It opens the system up to better cooling. If I remove the battery and slightly raise the front I don't have any problems keeping my hands on the WASD keys. I bought a cooler to use just in case.

Bukket

15 Posts

February 25th, 2010 09:00

I do not expect to hit the limits of CPU and GPU simultaneously very frequently, but I DO expect that when/if that happens, the machine will perform 'as advertised'.

The process control instuments that we sell have maximum temperature and pressure ratings. These maximums are not, and cannot, be mutually exclusive. If they were, the specifications would be completely meaningless. A product that can only withstand the maximum pressure OR the maximum temperature rating under otherwise ideal conditions cannot be evaluated by a customer for any 'real world' application. Yet that is what Dell appears to be doing with the 1747.

In our case, it would be misleading (and potentially very dangerous) to advertise something as having BOTH a maximum temperature AND a maximum pressure if the two values are exclusive of each other. I Ihave to agree with numerous other people on this forum, that if maximum CPU anf GPU are not available simultaneously, the capabilities of the 1747 have been misrepresented.

I fully agree with uPhile!

I think Dell should bear in mind what this smart guy provided as a good explanation of the real problem: it should be as obvious as needless to be pointed out for any company.

Also, it is interesting to see more and more people coming out to join... the "tip of the iceberg"

But want to be optimistic (though patience does have a limit) and see what Dell will do in these coming days

18 Posts

[quote user="Bukket"]

[quote user="khaledov"]

Bukket

[/quote]

Yes I got it from intel, right now I dont have my laptop but just to make sure run both(The one from intel and the one from dell) side by side  and check if they are reporting different speeds.

I use the one from intel and I've never seen it reach the 2.8 Ghz. the best Ive ever seen was 2.66 for the turbo boost. (Using A05)

[/quote]

I've seen it go to 2.79

63 Posts

I've seen it go to 2.79

For how long? 1 sec or 5 min? with A07 bios?

22 Posts

February 25th, 2010 10:00

Yes, please do tell. 

18 Posts

February 25th, 2010 10:00

Seconds with A07

63 Posts

February 25th, 2010 11:00

Yes I understand that, and to stress just the CPU, I use Fritz benchmark You can test it and download it here http://www.jens.tauchclub-krems.at/diverses/schach/Fritz%20Chess%20Benchmark.zip

For mine laptop when I use just one core as I said before it never goes more than 2.66Ghz.and the other cores are iddeling ( less than 1%) I even switch off the Antivirus

8 Posts

I have noticed a version of the 1747 back on the UK Dell website today.

The phrase they have used to describe the model is (direct quote}:

"NEW Dell Studio 17
Touchscreen and Core i7-820 processor. All specs to the maximum for an unbelievable media experience!"

I wonder what "all specs to the maximum" means?

63 Posts

I think the notebook wasnt designed to reach 2.8 ghz

Here I think uncelwebb would say : "Use throttlestop to monitor since there is a lot of kind of modulation" :emotion-11:

Personally, I dont want to update to A07, I have kids at home and I dont want them to end up at the hospital

12 Posts

I think the notebook wasnt designed to reach 2.8 ghz

77 Posts

[quote user="Rob_Nor"]

I've seen it go to 2.79

For how long? 1 sec or 5 min? with A07 bios?

[/quote]

This is not so much a problem of the BIOS as of the way, the processor works. As unclewebb explained earlier: The processor only switches to the max. frequency, when only a single core (of the 4 +4 cores) is busy, ie. all other 3+4 cores must be absolutely idle. In addition, this single core must be very busy (the processor will not switch to higher frequencies, if it is almost idle all over). This situation is unlikely to absolutely rare on a multitasking multithreading operating system. To have this situation for a prolonged period of time you would need very specialized software (or better, a single threading threading operating system).

In addition, you should keep in mind, that throttling was observed only, when CPU and GPU where busy. Ie. when only the CPU is stressed, throttling was no issue.

No Events found!