Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2014 05:00

STUDIO 1558 motherboard

Hi all, 

Motherboard on my 1558 needs replacing, can you tell me where I need to go to find the part number of my laptop without disassembling.

I then also need to get one to replace it and haven't had a lot of luck on the dell site, and I have looked at some of the motherboards on ebay but I'd like to not run around with a component that doesn't work 

Cheers

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2014 06:00

There are two different boards (each with more than one part number) for this model:

Intel-only video (integrated or UMA)

ATI video

The simplest is to use what you have - swap integrated for integrated or discrete for discrete.  You can cross over - but will then need a new heatsink (the heatsink for ATI won't fit Intel) and, if you change from Intel to ATI AND currently have a 65W power supply, you'll also need a 90W power supply to go with the swap.

If you want the exact part number, log into support.dell.com with the service tag number and look under Original Configuration.  The board number will be listed.

The two different boards are shown here:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=148&subid=289&refine=motherboard

July 30th, 2014 07:00

I have been on the support page and looked up the service tag but i couldn't see what item represents the motherboard at all ??

3 Posts

March 9th, 2015 14:00

Sorry to revive and old post but I have a similar situation! I'm currently in Canada, and I have a Studio 1558 laptop with a damaged CGY2Y motherboard (comes with ATI HD 4570 512MB), and since I can't find that model here or in the US (the closest is 4DKNR which seems to be compatible but is also ridiculously pricy), and I refuse to buy from shady China shops, I wanted to buy the board with integrated Intel graphics and the compatible heatsink. What else will I need to buy aside from the board and the heatsink? (for example, the ATI heatsink has a cooling fan I'm not sure is compatible with the Intel heatsink)

No Events found!