Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2009 22:00

Scorching heat on Studio XPS 16

I have had the Studio XPS 16 for about 4 months now/ 2.8 ghz, 6g ram/ 1920 by 1080 screen/, i was happy at first but now I am fed up and extremely disappointed at this laptop.

Everyday, this computer reaches temperatures over 140 degrees farenhieght with normal computing and interntet usage.  While watching hulu one day, speed fan clocked my cpu at nearly 200 degrees! I am worried that its going to blow up in my face.  I am also worried about melting the inside compontents.

I don't need anyone else telling me about the fan being blocked, I even have my laptop elevated for increased airflow but it makes minimal difference.

I would appreciate a refund or a system swap or something on this computer.

Thanks 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 26th, 2009 04:00

There's no way you'll get a refund, and no way they'll swap it out until you have at least a couple of repair attempts.  Call technical support and arrange a warranty repair on the system -- it'll be according to the terms of your warranty.  Either they'll send you a technician if you opted for onsite support, or they'll send you a shipping box if you have depot repair.

June 30th, 2009 06:00

Hi,

I'm involved in another problem related to studio xps 16 posted here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19255154/19510911.aspx#19510911

I discover that removing battery helps to decrease the temperature. Actually, after three hours working in AC without battery,  i have no problem to leave my hands on the case!

190 Posts

July 16th, 2009 18:00

What hard drive do you have in it? I was told the 7200's run very hot.

76 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 13:00

I bought my XPS 16 in November. I noticed right off the bat that this laptop runs very hot. I have left it running for the last couple days doing downloads and the machine has shut itself off unexpectedly twice. I will wait to see if the problem goes away and run diagnostics. I have a feeling that Dell will be sending me a refurbished replacement machine... which is a shame because this laptop is otherwise perfect. But why did they not notice the horrible heat dissipation during the design?????

No Events found!