Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2011 04:00

Screeching noise when on Skype

Hi,

Just got my Inspiron N5010 15R (Core i-3, Win 7 64-bit, 4 gb RAM) and having real problems when attempting to make Skype calls. The microphone works, but there is a terrible screeching noise that sounds like it is coming from under the keyboard, which makes it impossible to continue the call. The noise is heard by both people on the call. This is when I am connected via the wireless to the Internet. Initially I thought it may be interference from the AC adaptor, but unplugging that and running on battery power makes no difference. If I plug in a USB headset however, the noise stops, and the call becomes crystal clear, with no interference whatsoever.

I have tried simply playing music through the speakers, and there is no interference when I do that.

Anyone come across this before, and got any suggestions. This is the second go with a 15R - the first was sent back after 2 days because it did the same thing. If I can't get a fix to this one, it'll be going back as well.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 6th, 2011 06:00

Could the noise be feedback? If the speakers are active when using Skype try lowering their volume all the way down and see if the noise goes away.

3 Posts

May 6th, 2011 07:00

Thanks Jim, I'll try lowering the volume on the speakers and see if it helps. It would seem to be a design failure on a laptop if you have to use an external headphone though instead of the built-in speakers; hopefully this isn't the case and something can be done to fix the problem

3 Posts

May 6th, 2011 12:00

Just tried lowering the speaker volume as much as possible, and the noise is still present. The only way to have a decent conversation is with a headset plugged in.

No Events found!