Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2010 22:00

Screen boots to Black w/ Flashing Cursor

My Laptop:http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/inspiron-1546/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-1546&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~inspiron-15-amd-03~~

Dell Inspiron 1546, Windows 7.

Started up my PC. After the Dell Inspiron screen loads the screen goes back with a blinking cursor int the top left corner. Googling, I've tried Fn+F5 or F6, pressing shift 5 times, and CTRL+ALT+DELETE to no avail. I have not tried anything with BIOs settings and have not changed any system settings. I've started a thread a couple days ago regarding regular freezing during Dacebook/YouTube games and I've yet to find a solution for that when this started.

The laptop's new. We haven't had it for a week. I seriously someone can help me fix this thing before we're forced to return/exchange it. I do have the Dell Drivers/Utilities and a Windows 7 Repair Disc but I'm unsure if these will allow me to do a full wipe/restore.

All input is welcome and appreciated.

1.8K Posts

March 11th, 2010 12:00

Did you try F8 to go into Safe Mode and see if Windows will load that way?

If so, and that does not work then I recommend that you contact Tech Support and discuss the issue with them.   They may be able to resolve it relatively quickly for you.

March 11th, 2010 13:00

This black page problem seems to be a universal problem that no one seems to know how to sort or are reluctant to help - even Dell. I have the same problem after downloading Dell updates and I have been chasing my tail for the past week trying to get a solution.

I tried to seek help direct from Dell and I'm still waiting to hear from them so don't hold your breath. If you google this problem you will find dozens of entries trying to get a solution to this, but some are far too technical for me to understand and by reading the replies they don't even work.

I wish you the best of luck and hope some one out there can understand our problems and sympathise with the frustration of feeling alone and come to your aid.

I am sorry this will be of little use to you but you are not alone.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2010 15:00

I spent a couple more hours trying things. I was unable to get into Safe Mode, couldn't boot windows from the disc, ect. I took it to GeekSquad at the BestBuy where I purchased the PC, since they do free diagnosis. They said the motherboard was "bad". They took an exchange with no issue and I haven't had problem with it so far.

Thanks for the replies. I recommend you get your hardware looked at as I don't think it's a software issue.

27 Posts

March 11th, 2010 16:00

The first thing that comes to mind is the LED's for the num, caps and scroll locks. They are coded to be able to tell what is wrong with your system, a crucial piece of information there is whether or not you can toggle the LED's by hitting the num, caps, and scroll lock keys. The next step would be to enter the Diagnostics and run a full diagnostic, if it gives a diagnostic code, then the next step is to find the codes meaning.

March 12th, 2010 01:00

This is the first piece of positive advice I have had with this issue - while I may not fully understand what you are saying the LED for Num has switched on my memory that the F12 button does not always work and I notice that this only happens if the led light indicator is not on?

March 12th, 2010 02:00

Marcer can you please help me to understand?

If I leave the computer to boot up it goes by the Dell page then goes to the black page with the white curser flashing in the top left hand corner. If I press F12 after the Dell display it opens the boot menu and always with the Removable USB - Zipo, TEAC USB HS-XD/SM section highlighted.

If I use the down arrow and highlight the section Hard Disk Sato-o WD3 200 AAks-75B3AO and press return the computer then works okay for the duration of that period, as soon as I switch the computer off I have to go through the above procedure again..

Is there some way of changing the selection in the boot menu from the Removable USB which does not work to the Hard Disc-Sato which does?

Many thanks

27 Posts

March 12th, 2010 06:00

This should actually be a fairly easy fix for you, what is happening is that your BIOS is telling your computer to boot from USB. You are then encountering the black screen because there is no Operating System to boot from the USB device, so you hit F12 to get to a one time boot selection, and you choose to boot from the HDD, which then boots your OS succesfully.

When you start your computer, as soon as the Dell logo appears you need to hit F2 to get into system setup (BIOS). Once there you will see a list on the left hand side of the window. You click the + beside general, then select boot sequence. Then in the top right hand corner is a box showing all of your boot options, with arrows to the right of the window. You need to select the hard drive in that window and then click the up arrow on the right of the window and move it to the top. This will make your boot order boot from your HDD before your USB. You can also uncheck the USB Storage Device option as well as the Diskette Drive option if you wish, since they are going to be of little use to you. Let me know how it goes or if you have further questions :)

6 Posts

May 20th, 2010 16:00

I too am having the same problem with my dell inspiron 1546, that I just purchased a few moths ago. I called dell and without them doing remote control access to my computer,they simply told me that it was an OS problem and that it would cost me extra money to fix the problem.I then took it to Geek Squad inside of the Best Buy where I purchased it.And they charged me to"repair" my laptop where they told me that tried to repair the problem, but it kept going back to the blk screen with flashing wht cursor.Right now,I've been communicationg, through email, with a customer service rep for several weeks with no resolution as of yet. I lost virus protection software,microsoft office 2007 software that I needed for my classes,school work, downloaded music,and pics, which I paid for and dell is not going to repair or replace my computer let alone compensate me for the software and information I lost. They are in the process of sending me packaging to ship my laptop to one of their repair depots. I'm a full-time student and I don't have the money to purchase a new computer or repair the problems I'm having. I am so upset and I feel like my hands are tied,there's nothing else can do, while I still have a defective product from dell.If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it.As for Ruzhyo, I would run as quickly as possible back to best buy and get your money back, while you can.

4 Posts

March 12th, 2013 17:00

try a new hard drive

4 Posts

March 12th, 2013 17:00

Wow! Way late in responding. Ihave the same prob. I swapped Hard drives with another identical Dell model e1505. Everything came up fine. So for me it was the HD , not the momboard.

1 Message

August 25th, 2013 05:00

I wanted to offer a little insight to what might be a possible cause of this problem.  MY Dell Inspiron 1440 was experiencing the same problem.  It seemed very likely, after extensive troubleshooting, that the hard drive might have been going bad.  I ordered a replacement Western Digital 500Gb hard drive, installed it, tried using the discs that Dell Datasafe created and the first disc wouldn't boot.  Thank god I created a USB backup as well.  Thanks for that Dell.  After getting back to the Windows interface, first things first, install Windows Updates.  That wouldn't work.  Keep in mind this is a fresh install on a brand new hard drive.  Found a fix to that problem and while doing that, Dell Datasafe performed an update and asked for a reboot.  Rebooted, and guess what?  Black screen, blinking cursor.  Thanks for that too Dell.  Products destined to fail.  Brilliant.

2 Posts

April 26th, 2016 12:00

I am having the same problem i csn get to the boot menu like you explained but after exiting it does the same thing can you help

1 Message

October 16th, 2016 14:00

OK, figured it out.  I had a laptop hard-drive nuke after Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.  Big thanks to Bill for an incredible followup to the Windows 10 Deployment.  Way to go again!

So my Latitude e6240 has a raid doo-hicker in it so you cannot have the bios setting to Legacy Hard drive.  You have to go into BIOS F12 on boot and down to BIOS. Then in BIOS find Booting.  Look to find the UEFI and Legacy switch and set it to UEFI.  Finally,  move to UEFI and move the RAID to the top.

Boom!  Ill need to say a couple Hail Marys for the cussing to figure this out.  Rock on!

No Events found!