Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2009 15:00

Screen corrupt Inspiron 1545

The screen on my Inspiron 1545n (that came with Ubuntu as the operating system) is messed up.  The video output is screwed up from about an inch from the top of the screen downward.  It replicates the top in a rapid flipping motion as if the drawing is not functioning properly.  This problem used to be only after the computer was on for an extended time (>2 hours) and shutting off and cooling down fixed it.  It now seems to be permanent.

I have been able to determine that the problem is hardware related becaus it affects the bootup screen and BIOS as well and will perisit when Ubuntu starts.  It is therefore unlikely to be a driver problem or else it would ONLY affect the OS.  I would like input from the community before I contact Dell for professional support.  If you have this problem please provide more information.  I will be attaching a photo when I can get my hands on a digital camera.

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 27th, 2009 16:00

To pin it down to a mainboard or display failure, attach an external monitor - if it shows the same fault, it's the mainboard;  if is does not, it's the display.

No Events found!