Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2015 16:00

Screen problem Inspiron

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1546 that I had since 2009. SInce monday, the screen won't turn on, the laptop will but not the screen. The power indicator is on and the CPU fan is but not the screen.

I really can't take my laptop to my computer retailer and pay about $70 for a repair so is there a way i could fix this myself.

Thanks a lot for the help

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 28th, 2015 23:00

Hi JessyN,

We will have to perform the ‘LCD BIST’ (Built in Self-test) on the computer. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run the “LCD BIST’.

1. Turn of the computer.
  2. Press and hold down the ‘D’ key on the keyboard and press the Power button.
  3. You will see different colors on the LCD screen. Please check if the issue reoccurs on the screen.

In addition, please connect the system to an external monitor and check if the issue reoccurs.

6 Posts

April 29th, 2015 14:00

Hi Ravi

I've tried this but it doesn't work. When I try to turn on my laptop I heard 2 beeps after 30 seconds.

Do you have another idea

6 Posts

April 29th, 2015 15:00

Thank you

I've tried this and I still hear the 2 beep. I think I have to try with another Ram. Is it expensive to replace mainboard ?

I forgot to tell that when I try the "D" key + turn on, I see the screen change between two "sort of black". I didn't see any color but just two shades of black. Does it mean something ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 29th, 2015 15:00

Two beeps means no memory is detected.   Remove the battery and then then the base cover.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules and try again.  If you still hear the two beep code, try one module at a time in each socket until you find the bad module (replace) or the bad socket (replace the mainboard).

If reseating the memory as above doesn't help, the memory controller is likely bad and you'll need a replacement  mainboard.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 9th, 2015 08:00

Hi JessyN,

As informed by ejn63 2 Beeps on Dell Inspiron 1546 indicates Memory or Memory slot failure. You can try with a compatible new memory on the slot to figure out if it’s an issue with Memory or memory slot.

No Events found!