Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2011 19:00

Screen with a dialog box with weird symbols

I have an inspiron N4020 laptop, I bought it about 8 months ago. For some reason, about two weeks ago, a  white dialog box with weird symbols in it appeared on the screen and it won't go away. Nothing wrong or bad happens to the laptop, it is running normally and can still use it but that dialog box shouldn't be there. I don't really know what is it but i think it may be the Dell Register Online Box (or something like that) that appears when you buy the laptop. I always clicked on remind me later instead of registering, and now that register box doesn't appear anymore. I'm attaching a screen shot, can somebody help me please?

207 Posts

April 12th, 2011 17:00

Hi Jesicam,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum,  

You can try to disable the software from the start up item list and restart your computer to see if it disappears.

To go to start up items - Click Start - Run (Start Search in Vista and Win 7) - type"msconfig" and hit enter, you would be asked to verify if you are the admin - put in your password if required or just click allow - you will get "system configuration utility" window - In the menu bar click on "Startup" - look in the list of software’s which was prompting you to register and click on the check mark to disable it.

Restart your computer to confirm if this has fixed the issue.

Let me know if you need any further help. 

-Niranjan

207 Posts

April 14th, 2011 17:00

If you do not remember the name of the software, disable all the start up items by clicking on Disable All on the lower right and click Apply and OK. It will prompt you to restart the computer, click Yes to restart the computer. 

Now, verify if the dialog box appears of not, most probably it wont. If it does, its not a software issue, may be related to the operating system.

If it does not show up after the restart, you will have to check by disabling the start up items one by one after every restart and check after which software is disabled the dialog box disappears. Once you know which is that software, you can uninstall it to resolve the issue.

Niranjan

3 Posts

April 14th, 2011 17:00

Hi DELL-NIRANJAN

I got to the system configuration screen but I don't know what the name of the program is and there is nothing that says Dell Register Online. Honestly I don't remember the name because I used to click "remind me later" as soon as that box appeared.

3 Posts

April 17th, 2011 19:00

I finally found the program, it was Dell Support Center Updates. 

Thanks Niranjan :emotion-2:

207 Posts

April 18th, 2011 09:00

Congratulations to you on fixing the issue. Let me know if you need anything else. 

-Niranjan

No Events found!