Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2016 15:00

Send audio through Headphone Jack (XPS 15z)

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could please help me troubleshoot a colleague's Dell XPS 15Z laptop.  We are trying to send the audio out of the headphone jack while simultaneously sending video out via HDMI. Is there a driver or some way to make this work? Right now it seems to be trying to send audio out of the HDMI.

Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 4th, 2016 04:00

ight now it seems to be trying to send audio out of the HDMI.

Hello. That is the default behavior when HDMI is connected, when everything is working right. To change that, open the Playback tab of the Sound properties (Control Panel>Sound) (or right click on the audio icon on the taskbar and select Playback Devices).

Find Speakers In the list of playback devices and right click on it, then set it as the default device. After doing that the audio should come out of the laptop's speakers, or the headphone jack when a device is plugged into it.

Your colleague will probably have to do this each time when setting up HDMI.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2016 12:00

Just found this forum, I think it will be very helpful. I am glad I found this answer but on my windows 10 XPS15 I cannot find any control panel settings. I see the Delll audio setting but nowhere can I find where to change from monitor to headphones.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 6th, 2016 06:00

on my windows 10 XPS15 I cannot find any control panel settings.

Hello. I don't have Win10 but by going to the Microsoft site I learned that if you open Start and type Sound you will see a list of results that include the Sound and Sound Control Panel. To get to the Sound properties as in the screen shot I posted earlier in this thread, select Sound, which should open with the Playback tab already showing.

There are probably other paths too. If you open the full Control Panel (apparently there are several ways to do that), then click on View as Icons (not View as Categories), then click on Sound, I would guess doing that would open the Sound properties too.

5.2K Posts

There should be a speaker icon in the notification atea (right side of the task bar). Just right click to get the options menu.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Just right click to get the options menu.

Thanks Kirk. I had mentioned doing that in my first reply in this thread, but thanks for the reminder.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 7th, 2016 06:00

but thanks for the reminder.

I should have phrased that differently. Thanks for the confirmation that Win10 acts like the other Wins in that respect.

Does the taskbar always show up on the main screen? I'm under the impression that the user can configure Win10 to open showing tiles or something like Win8. When I google up images of the main screen not all of them show a taskbar.

5.2K Posts

February 7th, 2016 08:00

The task bar can not be removed, but can be set to auto-hide unless you move the cursor to where it is supposed to be. If Win 10 is set to the Tablet Mode, you will still see a taskbar. It can have all the icons, or just a few necessary ones. The setting is under Tablet Mode in the Settings. You will see the speaker icon no matter what view you use.

No Events found!