Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2010 23:00

Service Tag

Hi. I want to update my drivers again so I go to Dell Support Center and then click on "Drivers & Downloads" which then opens the browser and goes to the drivers page. However, it says it cannot find my service tag of my Studio XPS 1640 laptop, even though in Dell Support Center, the service tag is there. I get the following message: "There was a problem with your submission: Your service tag was not recognized. Please check your service tag and try again."

So then I try to contact Dell with the Live Chat service, but there it also asks to put in a Service Tag. So I put mine in and it says "Our records indicate that your service tag belongs to a system that was purchased outside the United States." 

The thing is that I did buy my laptop in the US over the summer last year... so I really don't know why I'm getting these errors in regards to my service tag.

Why do I get these "unable to find Service Tag" errors even though the stickers and the Dell Support Center software show my service tag, even if I bought my laptop in the United States?

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 02:00

Well, I started to have similar problems with my service tag. Everything you mentioned, we're in the same pool. My netbook was purchased in the USA as well. So, I am going to join with you to get an answer from someone.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 2nd, 2010 04:00

If the system was purchased at retail, you must register it:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/global/shared/support/order/en/retail_landing_page?c=us&l=en&s=gen

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 04:00

Nope. I ordered and configured it online and got it delivered to my house in MD.

1 Message

October 15th, 2010 05:00

If it's any consolation, I bought a Vostro 3700 laptop from the UK site and the service tag is not recognised either. Have raised the issue with tech support but am rapidly losing confidence with them. Ordered on the 21 September 2010. It's now mid October.

No Events found!