Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

June 28th, 2016 20:00

Setting up a computer from scratch.

So...I have just finished doing a full reset on my almost brand new Dell XPS 15 laptop, including the drive stuff, and I was hoping to get a hand in setting it up "properly" this time. My current computer that I am using right now is a desktop, custom built, with small amounts of HP software on it. The XPS 15 from Dell is HEAVILY loaded with all sorts of preinstalled ***, but I'm guessing that it's installed to make the computer run smoother...so anyway. I want to know how to properly use Windows Update (and then I guess Dell Update, they're different somehow...?...) and update drivers and other things to make sure the computer runs properly this time. Before, when I put the computer to sleep, it would fully shut down. It didn't work for a bit...then I performed a Windows Update, then it worked. Then I performed another Windows Update and a Dell Update (both were forced upon me naturally), and then it quit working again. I spent about 3 hours on the phone with Dell customer support...the woman was very kind, helped me get some sort of new intel/dell/nvidia drivers from their website (my computer has some "hybrid" intel and nvidia GPU setup, but it doesn't integrate...at all...I don't even know if the nvidia part is getting used at all), and after she finished helping me, it worked!............then it didn't again later. I have been frustrated almost to tears multiple times over this, because normally, when you spend a couple thousand dollars on something, it works, you know?...many reviews of this exact same laptop are VERY positive online...only a few people are struggling with the problem that I am, so it most likely is not Dell's fault, and probably something I did...so now I come to you...can you give me a hand, with any of this? Thank you in advance, and if you can help me fix this, may puppies and flowers and happiness plague you the rest of your life... :)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 29th, 2016 06:00

:emotion-2:

Please list exactly your Dell model and version of windows. Example Dell XPS 9550, windows 10

If you don't know it, I suggest you enter your service tag number( or use Detect Product) onto the link below.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 29th, 2016 06:00

19 Posts

June 29th, 2016 10:00

You guessed correctly, it's a Dell XPS 9550 with Windows 10...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 29th, 2016 21:00

I have just finished doing a full reset on my almost brand new Dell XPS 15 laptop, including the drive stuff,

First, I suggest you should create a system image backup of windows 10 and create a recovery drive as well.There's a windows recovery image on your Dell Product Support page which you can also use. Whenever you're having issues with the system, you can restore from the recovery media.

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 10:

www.youtube.com/watch

How to Create a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive:

https://youtu.be/Z7ahnstpkQ0

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 29th, 2016 22:00

On your Dell Product Support page, you can click on Guide Me, and then Detect Drivers.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly, use the Troubleshooting tool on the system. Please type troubleshooting control panel onto the search box, click View all, and then System Maintenance

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Check for the latest windows updates are installed/ failed. Please click the windows icon at left bottom of taskbar, Settings, go to Update & security > Windows Update> Advanced Options and then View Your Updates History. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. 

No Events found!