Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TM

September 15th, 2011 14:00

Sigmatel Audio Codec Query

I've been told that a regular error which appears at startup -  [(systtray.exe) The procedure entry point LocalizesString could not be located in the dynamic link library STlang.dll']" -  is caused by the Sigmatel HD Audio Codec.  Can I install the latest version of this driver recommended by Dell for my computer over the original or should I uninstall the installed version first? 

Thank you. :emotion-1:

2.6K Posts

September 15th, 2011 15:00

With that error, other members have had the best results with a completely clean reinstall.   EDIT:  Make that a clean reinstall of the driver - way I said it makes it sound like the whole operating system.

For a clean driver reinstall: 

1)  Download the Sigmatel driver file from the Dell download page, but don't run it yet.  A tip - do not use the Dell Download Manager - it's buggy.  Select the second browser option to download it.  

2) Go to Add/Remove and remove Sigmatel.

3) Go to Device Manager, uninstall Sigmatel.

4) Reboot PC.  You should get an "Add Hardware" message - simply cancel it (don't let Microsoft install the driver).  Then run the driver file you downloaded earlier.

That particular "missing" file error seems to be from a Microsoft update - on my PC it hitched a ride in on XP SP3, though if I remember right others have seen it by using Microsoft's drivers for audio instead of Dell. 

September 16th, 2011 06:00

Thanks very much, Alexandra.  That worked perfectly.  

I really appreciate you taking the time to assist in this matter.  :emotion-1: 

2.6K Posts

September 16th, 2011 15:00

Glad you got it sorted.  :)

No Events found!