Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2017 08:00

Sleep Mode Always Results in an Unexpected Shut Down

Hi, tech friends. I would love some help with a problem I've been having for a long time. I have a Dell
Inspiron 11-3147 2-in-1 laptop running Windows 8.1. Sleep mode has never worked on it. I've fiddled with the settings in numerous ways, but it doesn't make a difference. The power buttons/closing the lid have the same effect as the "when the computer sleeps" settings: the computer shuts down unexpectedly. In fact, Event Viewer details the level as "critical" and says that "the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first." The hibernation function does seem to work, but I finally got around to installing an SSD, and I want to avoid unnecessary writing to the drive. I also just clean installed the OS (following Philip Yip's guide). I had hoped this would solve the problem, but to no avail.

So I did some research and found a person who seems to have had the same problem (the only difference being that hibernation, for him, also resulted in a shut down). I hope no one will mind if I post a link to another forum. I normally wouldn't, but the OP thoroughly describes the problem and his attempted solutions, and he follows up with every suggestion. Perhaps this will save time:

answers.microsoft.com/.../c074d660-c6cf-415f-be9c-3f8110bf7616

The solution that finally works for the OP's ASUS laptop, however, required reflashing the current BIOS with an ASUS utility. So that's what brings me here. If it's not too much trouble, could someone review the link I provided and perhaps offer a solution that would work for my Dell laptop?

• 

17K Posts

July 27th, 2017 10:00

CliffordDaniels,

You can click the link below for information resolving sleep mode with your computer.

How to configure the Windows 8 Power Plan and Settings tool on your Dell PC

No Events found!