Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2016 18:00

Slow motion mouse on desktop - XPS 15 9550

I'm finding when the mouse is scrolling on the desktop its extremely slow - like slow motion. If there is a window like Microsoft Edge taking up some desktop space then the mouse cursor will speed back up to normal again but as soon as it goes back to desktop its slow motion.

Its severely irritating. I have a top spec XPS 9550 running Windows 10.

Anyone know what the problem is? is a display driver issue? It happens sometimes not all the time.

1 Message

November 27th, 2016 16:00

So this may be way to late to help you, but I was experiencing the exact same issue. What managed to fix it for me, at least so far, was going to the Startup tab in Task Manager and disabling Nvidia Catpure Server Proxy. I disabled it, restarted and everything seems to be working again.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

November 29th, 2016 07:00

thanks a lot oupablo. I think its definitely NVidia related. I closed all open Nvidia related task in task manager and that solved the issue. I will try and pin point exactly which task is the offending one.

you were certainly more helpful than Dell Robert P. Reinstalling the OS is always a last resort instead of more constructive means to resolving a software problem.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 07:00

Hi simba2585,

Here is some information you may find helpful.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 10:00

that's not helpful at all. I'm looking for specific advice.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 10:00

From the link, here is the specific advice you seek:

Keyboard, touchpad, or mouse not working correctly

This article provides troubleshooting steps for Mouse, Keyboard and Touchpad issues such as:

The cursor movement is not smooth (erratic) or does not move at all.
The cursor moves around erratically while typing.
The scroll wheel has erratic movement or is not moving the page.

http://dell.to/2eo5TFB

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 13:00

No Robert, none of the solutions for those symptoms work, I'm using the latest touchpad drivers, in fact all the drivers are the latest for the XPS 9550.

The trigger is the start menu. When the start menu is brought up and the mouse cursor moves over the open start menu across to the desktop, the moment it transitions onto the desktop the mouse movement goes slow motion, with severe lag. As soon as the cursor hovers back over the open start menu, it speeds back up again to normal....

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 4th, 2016 05:00

Obviously at this point it appears to be a software issue.  Have you tried reinstalling your Operating System?  According to your post, it occurs when the Start Menu comes up, so that leads me to think that the OS may need to be reloaded.

November 22nd, 2016 10:00

I have the same system as you.

This appears to be caused by the Dell Premier Color app. In TaskMgr, it was showing 1718MB of memory (over 1GB!) in use, and the mouse cursor was slowing down when moving across the desktop background - but fine when moving over TaskMgr.

My guess is that it's part of the window-manager code which is busted, as it'll hook all of the underlying window messages going through the input stack in the OS.

Killing the app reverted the system to normal behavior. So my guess is that it's that. You could try uninstalling it and reinstalling it from the downloads site, but I don't know if that will fix it :)

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

November 29th, 2016 06:00

I tired closing the Dell Premier Color app in task manager but didn't solve the problem - but thanks.

33 Posts

January 16th, 2017 14:00

anyone found the correct culprit? I have the same issue and if you google search, it looks like there are many others who have the same issue.  

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

January 16th, 2017 15:00

It is NVidia related. close NVidia related components one by one and check the culprit if the problem persists.

in the end I just uninstalled GeForce experience because I was using the latest version from NVidia. problem solved.

I then installed the version provided by dell.

1 Message

March 13th, 2017 11:00

Thank you. I had the same issue too on an Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming which was resolved by disabling the Nvidia Capture Server Proxy

1 Message

March 28th, 2017 14:00

Absolutely solved the problem on my new XPS 9560 - thanks!

9 Posts

April 16th, 2017 12:00

I had the same issue, but I can't check the solution now because I had to restart the laptop and now the problem is away.

1 Message

September 19th, 2017 10:00

I've searched a solution for my Precision 5510. There's no such "Nvidia Catpure Server Proxy" (seems to be because of the NVidia Quadro Card. But there is a setting in the NVIDIA Control Panel, which seems to have an effect.

3D Settings | Manage 3D Settings| Base Profile (or every other which is used) | "Power management mode - Adaptive

Nvidia driver-controlled was faulty for me (at least since about 2 days)

Problem appeared in some of the Insider releases from the Fall Creators Update. And I had it in the driver "387.77" (already bevore).

No Events found!