Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2016 14:00

Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Dell will soon be releasing updated desktop docking stations that are compatible with Type C and Thunderbolt systems.   These docks may require that you update your system's BIOS and install docking station drivers before they will function properly.   Older BIOS versions or lack of docking station drivers could result in the dock not being recognized by your system or not working as expected.   Once released, these docking station drivers and updated BIOS versions will be available on support.dell.com for supported laptop systems.

January 28th, 2016 23:00

Hi,

what's the real release date for the TB15? It was announced to be released on January, 28th. But I've read in a few places, that it maybe would not be released until end of March... What's the truth?

4 Posts

January 29th, 2016 07:00

It's available now.  Just ordered mine.  :)

January 29th, 2016 09:00

I've seen that they are available in the US now, but unfortunately not in Europe...

57 Posts

January 29th, 2016 09:00

They are available now....I just ordered one.

January 29th, 2016 12:00

Thank you, called yesterday and they said don't know when available.  Called just after seeing your post and ordered one of each!

380 Posts

January 29th, 2016 12:00

Is there any information as to what BIOS version is required? I have 1.1.15 and I see no newer version. I do see that there is a new firmware update for the TB controller.

JohnD

EDIT: There are two entries for the Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver, one under the Chipset section and another under the Network section. Are they identical or must I apply both???? They appear to be the same size and refer to the same version.

1 Message

February 1st, 2016 06:00

They are now, I checked this morning on Dells UK site but they look like the smaller version - i.e. not the one that would drive 3 FHD screens which is what I am waiting on.

February 2nd, 2016 16:00

Please help! I just received the new Dell TB15 / Thunderbolt 3 dock.  I have updated my bios and installed associated drivers.  Everything appears to be working as advertised except for I'm having USB issues with the dock.  All the USB connections keep cutting in and out.

Dell tech support seems to think it's a defective dock.  It seems to me more like a driver issue.

Does anyone else with the new Thunderbolt 3 dock have this issue? 

Currently I'm having to use my U3415W as a USB hub and plug a USB cable directly into my XPS.

Hardware: Dell XPS 13 9350, Dell TB15/Thunderbolt 3 Dock, Dell U3415W Monitor

February 3rd, 2016 05:00

I don't like the ergonomics yet - you apparently haven't completely hooked your dock up yet - they don't work!!! (if you have Ethernet and USB inserted at the same time) - very unstable. I would return it an claim bad dock and get a refund (Dell pays the postage)

57 Posts

Received my TB15 today. I have two huge issues with this dock. First, all the connections are either on the front or back, EXCEPT for the Thunderbolt 3 cable to the laptop which is on the side? Very inconvenient! Second, the Thunderbolt 3 connection is hardwired to the dock. In other words it is not just a USB-c connector that you can plug any length USB-c cable into? And of course the cable that is permanently attached is too short for my requirements!! I have not been able to find any USB-c Thunderbolt 3 compatible male/female cables to use an an extension. At this point this thing is pretty much unusable for my requirements!

Sorry Dell but this thing looks like a huge fail for what I needed.

PS - To make matters worse, the Thunderbolt 3 cable comes out of the opposite side of the dock as the connector on the laptop where you need to plug it in??? *** was Dell thinking with this thing??

Dell has pulled the Thunderbolt Dock (both 240w and 180w from their website. ALL have been defective (including mine which I promptly sent back) - see Notebook Review forum under topic Dell XPS 15 with Infinity Display 2015) posts from pages 414 on. I have already sent mine back. You might try the asmedia (USB)driver for asus mainboard recommended in post #4152 - it seems to have been met with success with some docks. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-15-with-infinity-display-2015.776840/page-416 https://www.asus.com/support/Download/5/35/0/5/Nye15BwOimHEJ7RQ/45/ I may reorder if and when Dell ever gets their S together.

• 

351 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 06:00

Please help! I just received the new Dell TB15 / Thunderbolt 3 dock.  I have updated my bios and installed associated drivers.  Everything appears to be working as advertised except for I'm having USB issues with the dock.  All the USB connections keep cutting in and out.

Dell tech support seems to think it's a defective dock.  It seems to me more like a driver issue.

Does anyone else with the new Thunderbolt 3 dock have this issue? 

Currently I'm having to use my U3415W as a USB hub and plug a USB cable directly into my XPS.

Hardware: Dell XPS 13 9350, Dell TB15/Thunderbolt 3 Dock, Dell U3415W Monitor

Hi, 

Can you ensure that you have the 3 Firmware updates installed for the Dock and the BIOS is at A05 (update mentions support for the dock). If you're still having issues after applying the updates and BIOS let me know

February 3rd, 2016 07:00

Actually - I did all those (latest updates as of Feb 02) and it didn't. I have already returned it to Dell and now the docks are off their website (both 240W and 180W). Many people on Notebook Review forum had the same issues with all latest drivers but someone applied the latest USB drivers from ASUS and it started working again.

Any idea when Dell will re-release the Docks (in working condition)?

• 

351 Posts

A05 isn't out yet for the XPS 15 9550, it's due soon though. A04 and the 3 firmware updates should get it working for you.

2 Posts

Good discussion of this issue on Reddit:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/43w1ql/trouble_with_dell_thunderbolt_240w_dock/

Device manager indicates the root of the issue seems to be related to the ASMedia USB hub failing. So far even with all updates and firmware installed people seem to still be hitting the issue. Eager to see updated software from Dell here.

No Events found!