Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2016 14:00

Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Dell will soon be releasing updated desktop docking stations that are compatible with Type C and Thunderbolt systems.   These docks may require that you update your system's BIOS and install docking station drivers before they will function properly.   Older BIOS versions or lack of docking station drivers could result in the dock not being recognized by your system or not working as expected.   Once released, these docking station drivers and updated BIOS versions will be available on support.dell.com for supported laptop systems.

• 

351 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 07:00

No problem, remember and update the Firmware and the BIOS for your system to make sure the dock works correctly. Let me know how you get on

57 Posts

Hey Collin, thanks for that info. That may solve that issue for me. I'll check it out when I get home. The dock did not wok correctly for me when I plugged it in but I'm guessing it's driver issues. I ddint have time to investigate any further.

Colin - My dock didn't work either but this is the only BIOS update (A04) we have on the US Dell website. Do you have a newer update?

57 Posts

Those 3 firmware updates say they are for the WD15...are they supposed to be used for the TB15 as well?

• 

351 Posts

Hi kramrengaw,

The USB-C cable can be removed so that you can change the cable if you need to do that.

If you turn the dock upside down then remove the rubber cover over the cable end you will see 2 screws. Remove the 2 screws, then remove the metal bracket. Once that's all done the cable can then be removed from the dock

21 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 08:00

Upgrade Bios, upgrade TB firmware and install ASmedia USB controller driver version 1.16.29.1. Dell doesn't provide this driver for unknown reasons, you can grab it from another manufacturer that provides drivers for the hardware they sell, like Asus:

https://www.asus.com/support/Download/5/35/0/5/Nye15BwOimHEJ7RQ/45/

Under USB. Everything will work just fine.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2016 09:00

Can someone please provide me with the URL of the TB15 on the US site? I would like to have my company buy one for me and I need a URL to provide them.

Thanks!

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 10:00

The device that's having issues is the ASMedia 1142 USB controller.

There's a good post on reddit about how to install new drivers for the USB controller--appears to be working:

www.reddit.com/.../if_your_thunderbolt_dock_isnt_working

February 3rd, 2016 11:00

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Updated the BIOS and new Thunderbolt drivers.  Do you have a list of the exact Thunderbolt drivers I need to have installed?  I noticed there are some Thunderbolt drivers posted for the WD15 that didn't show up in my XPS driver list.  I installed the applicable Thunderbolt drivers from there as well. It would be helpful if there was a way to cross reference the drivers I have vs. what you post so I can see if I'm missing one.

Is there a certain order these have to be installed in? 

The USB ports seem to simply be unstable.  My USB speakers cut in/out.  USB Logitech wireless mouse cuts in/out.  Hope you have a fix!

Colin -

With the current bios version, and the 3 4 firmware/drivers/patches applied, the dock still does not work on my 9550.

Has anyone had problems downloading this driver from Dell website for the new docking station: Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock and Dell Dock All I get is "Signature is corrupt or invalid" and only option is to delete and not run and install.

53 Posts

Agree with @Thysanoptera, with the latest system BIOS, thunderbolt firmware/software and Asmedia 1142 driver the dock appears to be stable, fully functional and actually quite amazing! 

Now I only have one nagging problem left: the excessive fan noise when the USB-C/TB port is in use. Even when the system is idle (and cold at ~30C), fans are constantly spinning.
Could someone @Dell confirm that this is a bug and it will be addressed in the upcoming A05 BIOS?

February 3rd, 2016 12:00

Has anyone also had the following issues with the Thunderbolt 3 dock?

Issues:

-When undocking from the Thunderbolt 3 connector my XPS 13's curser speed drastically slows down. It isn't until I do a restart that it returns back to normal.  When docked and Logitec wireless mouse is connected directly there are no issues with curser speed. 

-USB speakers and USB mouse/keyboard cut in/out when connected directly to the dock.  Currently requiring me to plug directly into the laptop.

828 Posts

Colin -

With the current bios version, and the 3 4 firmware/drivers/patches applied, the dock still does not work on my 9550.

Have you loaded the thunderbolt chipset driver?   You may also need to flash the thunderbolt firmware.

1 Message

I tried buying one over chat, and the rep said Dell was sold out of TB15. Hopefully, they are updating the FW on the new units and waiting until problems are ironed out.

No Events found!