Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2016 14:00

Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Dell will soon be releasing updated desktop docking stations that are compatible with Type C and Thunderbolt systems.   These docks may require that you update your system's BIOS and install docking station drivers before they will function properly.   Older BIOS versions or lack of docking station drivers could result in the dock not being recognized by your system or not working as expected.   Once released, these docking station drivers and updated BIOS versions will be available on support.dell.com for supported laptop systems.

380 Posts

February 9th, 2016 15:00

OK, the little thing next to the two USB 3.0 ports is the power on indicator light.

13 Posts

February 9th, 2016 15:00

SUCCESS!!!

So I’ve had a stable connection to the dock, wired network connection and all, for the better part of this afternoon now!!!  I believe it was due to the installation of the driver below, which I don’t think I had installed yet.  FYI, Dell DOES NOT have this driver listed on the XPS 15 or the Thunderbolt Dock support pages.  It was linked to in a reddit thread I’d been checking recently (https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/440olx/if_your_thunderbolt_dock_isnt_working/) in which others had said it solved the issue.  I had tried connecting to the dock again this morning and had the same results.  After lunch I decided to install this driver and everything has been fine since! 

ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=V2WY5

All other drivers, firmware, BIOS, etc. had been updated per XPS 15 and bolt Dock support pages

Give it a try and good luck and Godspeed all!!!

57 Posts

February 9th, 2016 20:00

Sadly that does not address the issues with using an external display with the TB15.

February 10th, 2016 04:00

Are you saying the the Dell ASmedia driver Version 1.16.32.1 (found on the Dell Website under "All Drivers") does not work and the ASUS website driver Version 1.16.29.1 is the only one that works?

February 10th, 2016 04:00

SUCCESS!!!

So I’ve had a stable connection to the dock, wired network connection and all, for the better part of this afternoon now!!!  I believe it was due to the installation of the driver below, which I don’t think I had installed yet.  FYI, Dell DOES NOT have this driver listed on the XPS 15 or the Thunderbolt Dock support pages.  It was linked to in a reddit thread I’d been checking recently (https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/440olx/if_your_thunderbolt_dock_isnt_working/) in which others had said it solved the issue.  I had tried connecting to the dock again this morning and had the same results.  After lunch I decided to install this driver and everything has been fine since! 

ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=V2WY5

All other drivers, firmware, BIOS, etc. had been updated per XPS 15 and bolt Dock support pages

Give it a try and good luck and Godspeed all!!!

Are you saying that the Asmedia Driver listed on the Dell Website (when you select "All Drivers" and look under "Docks/Stands"  Version 1.16.32.1 does not work and the only one that works is from the ASUS website - Version 1.16.29.1??

13 Posts

February 10th, 2016 08:00

What worked for me WAS the driver I linked to from Dell.  I actually never tried the Asus version.

Also once connected to the dock with Ethernet hooked up, go check the network adapter setting for the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller.  It initially wanted to automatically obtain IP and DNS, whereas I need to define IP, default gateway and DNS for our office network.  Depending on your situation this may or may not impact the network connection.  Just a thought...

Also, to be honest, I uninstalled and reinstalled so many of the drivers, so many times and I disconnected and reconnected the dock so many times that I'm not sure if it wasn't just pure dumb luck that I got it to work.  Plus, my XPS 15 9550 got it's first BSOD right before the dock started working...so just keep trying!  Sorry I wasn't very scientific in my testing and sorry if this isn't more helpful!

February 10th, 2016 08:00

What worked for me WAS the driver I linked to from Dell.  I actually never tried the Asus version.

Also once connected to the dock with Ethernet hooked up, go check the network adapter setting for the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller.  It initially wanted to automatically obtain IP and DNS, whereas I need to define IP, default gateway and DNS for our office network.  Depending on your situation this may or may not impact the network connection.  Just a thought...

Also, to be honest, I uninstalled and reinstalled so many of the drivers, so many times and I disconnected and reconnected the dock so many times that I'm not sure if it wasn't just pure dumb luck that I got it to work.  Plus, my XPS 15 9550 got it's first BSOD right before the dock started working...so just keep trying!  Sorry I wasn't very scientific in my testing and sorry if this isn't more helpful!

No need to apologize - you have been helpful. As I have sent my original dock back and am waiting on another one I just wanted to make sure that I had everything on the system that I needed. Once the Asmedia driver is installed (I can see the file in "Programs and Features") do I have to do anything more when the TB15 is finally connected to the computer or is it more or less automatic? Dis you have to go to Device Manager and look for the TB connection and "update driver" and then point to where the Asmedia is on the computer?

13 Posts

February 10th, 2016 09:00

Nothing more to do after installing that driver, although I was NOT connected to the TB15 dock when I installed it.  Everything was unplugged and then after the driver install I plugged in power, monitors, Ethernet, USB mouse, and USB speakers all one by one, taking my time to make sure each worked.  Can't remember precise order though, maybe Ethernet first this time...

828 Posts

February 10th, 2016 10:00

The imaging guide has been updated and now includes installation instructions for the drivers and firmware.  You can find the guide here:  http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/Common/Latitude_Re-imageGuide_en-us.pdf

The instructions are on page 20.

Here they are as well:

February 10th, 2016 11:00

Hi Brian,

How do you suppose we successfully get the TB15 working if we have all these 7 sets of drivers installed but have been installing them out of order?  This just being posted now isn't helpful as the drivers have been released out of order and over the course of the past 1.5 weeks. 

It's assuring to know that my XPS 9350 can successfully work.  I'm just trying to understand how I reverse history at this point without pulling my hair out.

Thanks,

David

53 Posts

February 10th, 2016 12:00

And even if you manage to get the right sequence, thunderbolt and TB15 dock are still unstable.

My external displays, connected to both DisplayPort on the back of the dock, are blanking e/o blinking for a few seconds and then (not always) reconnecting. Sometimes it doesn't happen for hours, sometimes it happens every 5 minutes. Totally random. Cannot trace the root of the problem. Absolutely nothing in C:\Intel\Logs. Often one or both are gone and I have to restart to rebuild my multi-display desktop.

I have a small USB 3 hub, connected to the USB-C/TB port on the back of the dock, which routinely loses connectivity. I hear the typical PNP plug/unplug Windows sound and all the devices connected to the hub are gone until I restart the laptop.

And, if that was not enough, whenever the dock is connected, the laptop fans are extremely loud and constantly spinning. This behaviour make no sense since the system is absolutely cold (~30° C according to Intel Tuning Utility).

In all Dell ads and commercials the combination XPS + TB15 is marketed as the perfect desktop replacement but I find it absolutely impossible to get any work done with such a noisy and unstable computer by my side.

5 Posts

If you have already installed the TB Firmware, "Re-Imaging" is pointless. Unless Dell provides an older TB Firmware to flash back to, you cant Re-add this new one.

It will just tell you the firmware is already up to date, even if the image is wiped. So #3 is a 1 time attempt on your PC. If they provided an older version, we could flash back, reimage machine, and THEN follow these instructions.

5 Posts

Dell's customer service has been horrible. Can you please have someone from advanced resolution call me Regarding Dell Incident # 33670654.

The imaging guide has been updated and now includes installation instructions for the drivers and firmware.  You can find the guide here:  http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/Common/Latitude_Re-imageGuide_en-us.pdf

The instructions are on page 20.

Here they are as well:

Brian - since these instructions were released 10 days after people started receiving their TB 15 docks (February 1) and I am sure most people don't remember the exact order in which the drivers were updated what is our recourse if we cannot get the docks working? I sent mine back after 2 days with all the online reports and driver releases changing every day and I am awaiting an order on Dell for another TB 15 whenever Dell decides to re-release the hardware. Is it a total wipe of the computer and reinstall Windows again?

February 10th, 2016 13:00

Does anyone know if there is a reason all the drivers relating to the Thunderbolt Dock have been removed from the list of XPS 13 9350 drivers?  I do still see all the Thunderbolt Dock drivers listed under the XPS 15 9550.

The same drivers were previously listed on my 9350 support page but have since been removed.  Is the 9350 on hold for the time being?

No Events found!