Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2016 14:00

Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Dell will soon be releasing updated desktop docking stations that are compatible with Type C and Thunderbolt systems.   These docks may require that you update your system's BIOS and install docking station drivers before they will function properly.   Older BIOS versions or lack of docking station drivers could result in the dock not being recognized by your system or not working as expected.   Once released, these docking station drivers and updated BIOS versions will be available on support.dell.com for supported laptop systems.

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 11:00

Could you connect your monitor to the other, full size DP port and use it like that for several hours?

I've connected via full size DP and will keep it that way for the rest of my time here at work.  I'll report back before I go home.

21 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 11:00

Now, that seems to be working well.  I currently have the dock connected to a U2715H via mini display port, audio, Ethernet and two USB devices

Mini DP and HDMI is Port 2, full size DP and VGA are Port 1 on the dock (as seen in DisplayPort Topology in Intel driver). I assume that they are being driven by two separate synaptics chips, vmm3320 and 3330. Port 1 in my case goes off  after some time in use (full size DP and VGA goes blank), while there are no issues at all with Port 2 (mini DP and HDMI). I can bring both DP and VGA displays back by cooling the VMM3320 chip. Could you connect your monitor to the other, full size DP port and use it like that for several hours?

6 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 14:00

Hello all:

FWIW, I think we may be missing the immediate cause of many docking problems and other connectivity problems.  OTOH, I may be way off base.  But I think that Windows 10 power management may be involved in some or perhaps many of the observed issues. I don’t think this has any bearing on the overheating issues I have read about, but other issues, including various issues related to connectivity, may be directly affected.  Please look at the below.  Any and all useful comments and suggestions are appreciated, as I have not yet tested a workable solution to my connectivity issues.

I have a Precision 5510 received in February, with the Xenon processor, 16 GB RAM, a 500 GB SSD, and Windows 10 Pro.  I also have a TB15 dock, received on March 1st.  I have not tried plugging in the dock yet - I'm somewhat intimidated by all of the issues I see that various users are having with the dock and what it is supposed to do, and the 7 to 9 step process needed to get it play nice.  OTOH, I have done a bit with the machine, and have had some successes and some problems. 

I have run a hardwired connection to my network via the USB C - TB 3 docking connector and the Dell supplied Ethernet dongle, and that works fine, so far.

I have connected an old Samsung P2770 1920 x1080 monitor through the HDMI connector and it works fine, so far.  Works great when connected, switching between the associated display options works fine too.

I also attempted to use the remaining two USB 3 ports to connect peripherals - a "standard" Logitech mouse interface and two USB drives - both through an external hub and directly.  The standard USB 3 drive, a Seagate 2TB (PN 1K9AP7-501) and a proprietary 2TB hardware encrypted drive that I will call “Encrypt”.  The Seagate works fine, maybe.  I haven't run any data transfer that is big enough to give it a real test yet.  The Encrypt provides us with some very interesting, in my opinion, information that could be related to many of the other observed problems.  The Encrypt drive has built in, mostly hardware/firmware, FIPS 140-2 encryption, a hardware keypad for password/key entry, and RFID sensing for two factor authentication. Once the hardware on the drive is used to “login” to the drive, it then appears as a normal USB drive, and can be used for whatever you would use an external USB drive for.  At least that is how it has worked for many months on my Dell Precision M4800.  On the 5510, I log in just as I would normally, and it responds as it would on my Precision M4800, connecting after I go through the login sequence.  I can run short backups from Acronis or other software running on the 5510 to the Encrypt and it works fine.  However, when I leave it all alone for any significant amount of time - it varies between 5 and 30 minutes, the Encrypt, which must remain powered to retain its connection to the host, beeps, goes secure, and disconnects.  This is the same behavior it exhibits when I do a cold shut down or a restart of a computer it is connected to, or when I do a "safe" disconnect through Windows 10.  It is what it is supposed to do.  The drive's security features require that it do this.  But the drive is not supposed to be powered down when it is connected to a supposedly active USB port.  It hasn't been in any of my Windows 7 setups, so it runs all night, and can handle backups in the middle of the night, when I schedule them.  There are a number of vendors with similar hardware, and I suspect any that rely on a continuous powered USB connection, will suffer the same fate as my Encrypt drives.

So, I suspect the problems I am having maintaining the connection to my Encrypt drive from the 5510, are due to the 5510 hardware or software and its power management features.

I went into Windows and set all of the power options that seemed related (Drives and USB) to leave the power to the drives on, (2/27/2016), and I thought this solved the problem - the drives remained on and connected for more than 12 hours.  However, 2 days later, 2/29/2016, after a hard shutdown and reboot, they had reverted to disconnecting after remaining quiet for 5 to 10 minutes.  I noticed that some changes had been made to Windows during that period, but I am not yet experienced enough with Windows 10 to get to what changed and put it back the way it was.  So sadly, my "auto-disconnecting" Encrypt drive was back to its original tricks.

I talked to the company that sells the Encrypt drives, and they indicated that this was a generic problem with many Windows 10, (and 8.1), users.  Their experience indicates that it has become more apparent with more recent patches/updates; these updates have apparently resulted in much more "aggressive" power management.  Their understanding is that it now ignores or bypasses the settings that would disable things like "selective suspend" in USB power management.

I won't have time to get back to this until next week, but those listening to this thread, including Dell, might want to consider the possibility of power management being at the root of many of the observed port and connectivity problems.

Thanks for reading this far, if you are still awake,

Bob, 3/3/2016

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 15:00

Setup for the afternoon:  U2715H connected to full size DP; Ethernet; audio; USB external hard drive; USB check scanner; bluetooth mouse.  Windows set to use external display only.  Played YouTube videos all afternoon, so the dock was providing video out, audio out and Ethernet simultaneously.  I also scanned several checks while all this was running. 

Findings:  Dock not hot to the touch; trouble-free operation for 3 hours, followed by 2 episodes of the screen going black for 3-5 seconds then returning back to normal.  Compared to my issues previously, this is encouraging.  I then set the displays in extended mode.  Stability became much worse.

63 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 20:00

You might be on to something.  I have the WD15 which loses its Ethernet connection frequently.  I have noticed when I go to the Ethernet connection properties, power management, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" that I get much better performance.  The Ethernet dropping off seems to be reduced significantly.  I've also noticed that even though I don't change that setting - at times it reverts back to the default of allowing the PC to manage the Ethernet connection's power.  However, I've not gone more than about 2 hours with the problem coming back.

11 Posts

March 4th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

We tried everything what is post at this forum but nothing is working. Still our screens disconnect, network is not working etc. 

I hope Dell will release new drivers/firmware's asap to fix this issues because it not possible to work with this hardware at this moment.

Marc

March 4th, 2016 06:00

While my setup is now stable (and has been for over 3 weeks now), I have always believed it had something to do with the power settings.  From the first BIOS warning about not being able to charge my XPS 15 fully through the dock, to still not being able to "shut down" my computer from the Start Menu.  In addition, checking the box on keeping power on even when not using on just about ever possible driver in the device management seemed to fix many issues I had with the dock.  As of now, since everything is working, I am scared to update any of the drivers.  

March 4th, 2016 06:00

While my setup is now stable (and has been for over 3 weeks now), I have always believed it had something to do with the power settings.  From the first BIOS warning about not being able to charge my XPS 15 fully through the dock, to still not being able to "shut down" my computer from the Start Menu.  In addition, checking the box on keeping power on even when not using on just about ever possible driver in the device management seemed to fix many issues I had with the dock.  As of now, since everything is working, I am scared to update any of the drivers.  

I'll second that - no new drivers (beyond Feb. 19). Mine is working perfectly including being able to shut down/reboot from laptop itself.

10 Posts

March 4th, 2016 08:00

Same issues here.  Here's my set up -

TB-15 210W Dock

XPS 15 9550 / i7 / 256SSD / 4K display / Windows 10 Enterprise

3 - Dell U2415.

Had all the same issues out of the box ( no video / nic / USB) After completely re-imaging my laptop and installing all drivers in the order based off the user guides I can use the dock ONLY if my lid is open.  It will not work closed.  I'm not sure what the issue is.  I've got my monitors to show up a couple times with the lid closed and then they go to Power save mode.  Has anyone gotten the dock to work with the lid closed?

Also, have had BSOD issues since updating all of these drivers which my XPS was rock solid before this.

Dell really needs to address these issues, not a great product launch so far.

Chris

8 Posts

March 4th, 2016 12:00

Same issues here.  Here's my set up -

TB-15 210W Dock

XPS 15 9550 / i7 / 256SSD / 4K display / Windows 10 Enterprise

3 - Dell U2415.

Had all the same issues out of the box ( no video / nic / USB) After completely re-imaging my laptop and installing all drivers in the order based off the user guides I can use the dock ONLY if my lid is open.  It will not work closed.  I'm not sure what the issue is.  I've got my monitors to show up a couple times with the lid closed and then they go to Power save mode.  Has anyone gotten the dock to work with the lid closed?

Also, have had BSOD issues since updating all of these drivers which my XPS was rock solid before this.

Dell really needs to address these issues, not a great product launch so far.

Chris

I cannot use with my lid closed, either.  No BSOD so far.

57 Posts

March 4th, 2016 13:00

I was never able to get mine to work with the lid closed. Returned it to Dell just before the 30 days ran out.

March 4th, 2016 13:00

I was never able to get mine to work with the lid closed. Returned it to Dell just before the 30 days ran out.

I had never tried it with the lid closed before but just did - seems to work ok. The only thing that changed was like  resolution type change in which the icons became smaller (but more in proportion for a 32" 4K screen) and they rearranged but I got them back in proper position with DesktopOK. Looks as though the "Change the size of text, apps etc." went from 250% on the laptop to 150% on the external monitor. If I open laptop lid it does back to 250%. Nice touch.

Actually I prefer it with the lid closed now

15 Posts

March 13th, 2016 15:00

No posts to this thread in over a week? Did everyone's dock explode on them?!

Is anyone with 4k or UHD resolution able to run at 60Hz??

For my first external monitor, I'm using a mDP -> HDMI 2.0 adapter in the dock and it will connect at 3840x2160 60Hz BUT it has bandwidth issues; horizontal flashing lines, distorted image, popping/crackling audio etc. I'm using a good quality 3ft 18Gbps HDMI cable by "Forspark" (other cables won't even give me the 60Hz option in Windows). The "HDMI 2.0" active adapter I'm using has had mixed reviews but I want to be sure the TB15 is not the problem.

For my second external monitor, I'm using a DP -> DVI adapter (1920x1200), no problems. But the moment I connect it to the dock, the first monitor switches back to 30Hz.

Since TB15 is advertised as running two 4k monitors at 60Hz, I can only assume it's my adapter and/or cable, particularly if 60Hz is no problem with the dock for everyone else. I'm running out of time to return the TB15 (and adapter/cable) so hopefully someone has some input on this.

The other annoying thing is if I turn off the first monitor (actually a 4k TV), the second one becomes the primary and I get no display when I turn the first monitor back on. This does not happen if the first monitor is plugged into the HDMI port on the XPS. But with both plugged into the dock, the only way I've found to recover from the disconnect state is to unplug the second monitor, connect the first one directly to the HDMI port on the XPS, then unplug and reconnect it to the dock, followed by reconnecting the second monitor.

Like others, I've spent countless hours on this. The only real reason I bought the TB15 was to be able to run 4k at 60Hz!

ps-despite all the other issues, mine seems to work fine with the lid closed.

21 Posts

March 15th, 2016 09:00

That's a limitation of Intel graphics, 3 displays only. You can go to Intel website and check. Disable the laptop screen and then you will be able to drive 3 external displays.

8 Posts

March 15th, 2016 09:00

I am running the XPS15 4K latest BIOS latest drivers with 32Gb of RAM and a 512 SSD. Windows 10 Pro

I got the TB15 240W version yesterday and I have the following issues:

1. Got a warning that battery may discharge during full load

2. Sometimes the TB15 is nor recognized. After plug out plug in the problem goes away

3. I have a USB-C crApple adapter with one USB-C one USB 3 and HDMI which worked fine while connected directly on the XPS. Now connected to the TB15  does not recognize the display connected to the HDMI port

4. The major issue. I can only connect two extra DELL2314H FHD displays. Intel graphics Controller will not except a third one (I am also using the 4K screen of the laptop). Windows 10 will not accept to extend the desktop to the 3rd (ok 4th of you count the infinity one) display.

Is this a limitation of the TB15? I need at least 3 external displays as I am running multiple VMs. Currently I have a displaylink adapter to provide output to the 3rd external display but I thought I could do without it.

Monitors are connected to display port, mDP via an adapter for HDMI and HDMI ports. Tried also the VGA port amd the HDMI port of the laptop but nothing.

No Events found!