Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2016 14:00

Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Dell will soon be releasing updated desktop docking stations that are compatible with Type C and Thunderbolt systems.   These docks may require that you update your system's BIOS and install docking station drivers before they will function properly.   Older BIOS versions or lack of docking station drivers could result in the dock not being recognized by your system or not working as expected.   Once released, these docking station drivers and updated BIOS versions will be available on support.dell.com for supported laptop systems.

63 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 04:00

Just switched out wifi card.  Got the Intel 8260 for $26.  Removed old software and drivers.  All is well now.  Very stable system and Ethernet and wifi work as they should and I don't have to disable wifi anymore.

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 05:00

Reducing the Power output resolves this issue without shutting off wifi. Getting another wifi chip also works because it uses different drivers.

63 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 06:00

I mentioned a few posts up that I did try the 75% wifi power and it worked.  Now I've tried a new wifi card and my XPS13 and WD15 apparently work as intended.  I prefer the hardware working as intended rather than having to limit the wifi power output. 

I would have to agree with you that it is probably the wifi software that causes problems. The Intel hardware and software seem to play well with the XPS and WD15 vice the Broadcom that came in the XPS.

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 07:00

We had to limit it to 50% because we are using dual monitors.

15 Posts

October 14th, 2016 13:00

Has anyone gotten the WD15 to work with the Latitude 7370?  We are getting constant flickering on 50% of the them that we have.

7 Posts

October 14th, 2016 14:00

Reduce your wifi power to 50%. Does that work?

15 Posts

October 19th, 2016 07:00

Sorry, just saw this. I haven't tried, but is this a known issue? Have you had it and reducing the power by 50% help?

4 Posts

October 20th, 2016 12:00

I can't believe it but yes, reducing the power of the WIFI to 50% worked.  Now the dock is working as it should, which is absolutely ridiculous.  

I even tried 75% power, no dice.  Only 50% power.  

I have the XPS13 9350 running the Dell Wireless 1820A 802.11ac wireless card.  I'm about to deploy 25 of these things and now have to MANUALLY mess with these settings before deployment.  

4 Posts

October 20th, 2016 17:00

So now that I've got it working, one thing I can't figure out is that if the lid is closed, I can't turn it on or reboot the computer.  It's like I have to OPEN the lid and turn it on.  Is anyone else having this issue?

October 20th, 2016 22:00

My experience with my XPS 9350 and TB15 was absolutely aweful.  Moved over to a surface pro 4 and surface dock and haven't looked back since.  Dual 4K displays will just have to wait. I simply could afford to spend more time at the office attempting to fix dells problem. Dell cost me thousands of dollars in billable hours selling me a product that simply didn't work. Lost all trust in dell and likely will never buy anything dell ever again.

7 Posts

October 21st, 2016 05:00

I am glad that helped. You have no idea how many steps it took to figure that one out. I think it was more out of desperate luck actually. We first found out it would work with wifi turned off. Then it was just a matter of finding the exact setting. We wasted so many hours troubleshooting this. My company has both XPS 13 and Surface Pro 4 with docs and multiple monitors. While the dell started off really bad, now that we have it working we have had less issues with the Dells and more with the surfaces.

Yes I still open the lid to press the power button then close it while it boots up. Sometime the power on the dock works but I just got in a habit doing it the other way.  I wasted enough time resolving dell's issues for them.

63 Posts

October 21st, 2016 06:00

Or has been mentioned in prior posts - but the Intel wifi card for $26 and all these problems mysteriously disappear once you delete the 1820A software and install the Intel software.  I know. I did it.

4 Posts

November 1st, 2016 09:00

Am I crazy or can I not reboot the XPS 13 while hooked up to the dock?  

It seems I have to shut it down completely, then open up the lid and hit the power button.  

4 Posts

December 8th, 2016 07:00

Quick Update.  They released a new BIOS update for the XPS13 9350 near the end of november and that resolved the issue where I could reboot the thing when hooked up to the dock with the lid closed.  It also seems to have "fixed" some of the quirks I was seeing.  

The only thing I haven't had a chance to test yet is if the wifi is set at full power output if it creates that other issue we've been seeing.  

7 Posts

March 28th, 2017 13:00

Dell is now admitting fault for this dock. If you have not done so in a month, contact support and they will replace it. It looks identical but it has two vents with an internal fan keeping it cool. I still need to have my wifi power set to 75% but its much cooler.

No Events found!