Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

November 23rd, 2006 21:00

Sound card replacement?

A little advice would be very helpful.

My Inspiron Laptop has stopped playing sound and I've been told by a Dell technician that my sound card is busted. My only option according to him is to replace the whole motherboard which will cost me $700 AUD. I was wondering have I any other (cheaper) option? My warranty has expired. Is it possible to replace the sound card on its own?

Cheers
Brian

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 24th, 2006 00:00

Brian,

You can't replace the integrated audio that is built-in onto the motherboard, but you can use an external soundcard instead. These vary in price and the exact types depend on which model laptop you have. In general, all of the Dells can use a usb external soundcard and some models can use a pcmcia soundcard. None of the laptops can use a pci card. If you go to

Soundblaster

you can see some different soundcards. There are other manufacturers as well that you can google and check out.

If you name your model of laptop we might be able to give more advice, and we might be able to tell you how to confirm whether the technician was correct in the diagnosis.

Jim

November 26th, 2006 20:00

Thanks a milliion Jim. Bought an external sound card and all is well again. You saved me $670.

Brian
No Events found!