Highlighted
KarenBee
1 Copper

Re: Sound has disappeared

Go to the drivers&download page for your system and look for a Chipset driver. Download it onto your desktop. Reboot in Safe Mode (F8 before XP starts to load) and double-click on the file you downloaded. When it's done, reboot normally and try the sound.

If sound still doesn't work, install the correct audio driver, and then reboot again.

Ron

Thanks for this but again nothing has worked. Does anyone know where my files are stored, I am no at the stage of reinstalling, when the laptop arrived it did't come with discs cause it said everthing was installed on the laptop but when I search My Computer I have Main Dive C & Drive D but none of these have the reinstall files/folders etc. 

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

> PC Restore

When your computer was shipped from the factory there was a hidden partition on the hard drive with an image of the hard drive at that time. The purpose of the image is to allow you to return the computer to the state it was in when it left the factory if you ever should have unresolvable problems. I would use that image now, but if you have ever reformatted the entire hard drive the image is gone and there is no way to get it back.

To use PC Restore first backup your files to a separate drive, then restart and press Ctrl + F11 during the restart process and it should take you to the "PC Restore" menu. Anything that doesn't work afterwards either wasn't working when the computer was shipped or is the result of hardware malfunction. For that reason PC Restore can serve as an excellent diagnostic tool.

See page 104 of your Owner's Manual to read more about PC Restore.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Just to add a teeny bit of clarity to jimco's instructions. When you back up your files, be sure to back them up on external media. Your 😧 drive is likely just a partition of the hard drive and anything on C: and 😧 will be lost when you run PC Restore.  Don't forget to backup your address book, and browser favorites list..

Also remember that your system probably came with XP SP2 and that's what will be reinstalled when you run PC Restore. So as soon as PC Restore is done. get your firewall and antiviral software running. Then go directly to the Microsoft site to download/install all of their updates and fixes for XP (eg XP SP3), Office, Internet Explorer, etc. etc.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Ron, thanks for the clarification. The next time I will phrase that better by saying to back up to removable media or an external drive. I assumed that  the D drive is the optical drive as it normally would be, so "separate" meant to use something other than the hard drive. But yes there is the slight possibility that somebody created additional partitions on the hard drive of KarenBee's computer and so D might no longer refers to the optical drive.

KarenBee, "removable media or an external drive" means CD's, DVD's, flash drives, external hard drives ... anything except your computer's hard drive.

Then go directly to the Microsoft site to download/install all of their updates and fixes for XP (eg XP SP3), Office, Internet Explorer, etc. etc.

KarenBee, I would first make sure that everything is working correctly, particularly the audio since that is what we are talking about on this board. If all is working okay then cross your fingers and start getting Microsoft updates. Those updates are not always friendly to the audio on Dell laptops, so periodically check to make sure audio is still working. If it stops then you can use System Restore or PC Restore again but next time skip the update that killed the audio. However if you feel you need SP3 but it turns out to be the update that kills the audio, the solution should be to reinstall the Sigmatel audio driver using the method I outlined earlier in this thread, where you get the Microsoft  UAA driver.

I hope you are not getting confused by the different advice we are giving. Ron and I have different ideas about how to advise you, which is okay, but thankfully this situation does not often occur here on the Laptop Audio Board.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos