Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2016 07:00

Speakers and headphones suddenly stopped working on inspiron 3542.

It all started some weeks ago,atleast once in a day I would hear some bopping sound from my right speaker.When it started I would restart the computer and it would go away.but two days ago,it started then suddenly my speakers stopped working.I tried connecting my headphones there was still no sound.In just some time after the speakers went mute,i smelt something burning.i suspected it was my speaker so I smelt its location and surely the burning scent was coming from there.Now I am not really sure if my speakers burnt up or its something to do with the drivers.What can I do ? and if my speakers are really burnt,where can I get other ones specifically for my dell inspiron 3542 ? I have tried searching for them here on the official dell website but I don't seem to find them. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 1st, 2016 07:00

where can I get other ones specifically for my dell inspiron 3542 ? I have tried searching for them here on the official dell website but I don't seem to find them. 

Hello. Dell does not sell spare parts. You have to go to someplace like ebay or the parts-people to get salvaged parts. I would choose the parts-people, which specializes in Dell parts.

You can get instructions for replacing the speakers by going to the Inspiron 3542 support page and clicking on "Manuals", right under the picture of the laptop. The one called "Owners Manual" is really a service manual and has the instructions for replacing the speakers.

I tried connecting my headphones there was still no sound.

If there is no audio through the headphones then something else is wrong bedsides just the speakers. Perform a system recovery (reset the laptop back to the original factory configuration). If there is still no audio through the headphones then you will probably have to replace the motherboard as well as the speakers. (Instructions in the Owners Manual).

If you prefer not to do that, consider getting an inexpensive usb audio jack, like this one from Amazon. These jacks are self-contained audio systems and will work despite the damage to the laptops internal audio. You just have to add headphones or external speakers.                                                                   

No Events found!