Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2017 19:00

Ssd for dell xps L502x

I have a dell xps L502X service tag no: , my hard drive has crashed. So I want to upgrade my hard drive to ssd. But even after contacting service centre and dell exclusive store no one could exactly tell me which ssd will fit into my laptop. Can anyone tell me which ssd will fit into my laptop and which is the best one?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 26th, 2017 03:00

Any standard 2.5" SATA SSD will work.  You may need a shim to install an SSD, as they're all 7 mm or slimmer, while your system is designed for a 9.5 mm hard drive.  Some drive kits come with these;  if yours doesn't, they're only a couple of dollars.

www.compsource.com/ttechnote.asp

15 Posts

February 28th, 2017 06:00

As per my knowledge not all ssd will work. It all depends on motherboard. Ssd are different on slc / Mlc/ Tlc technology or Sata I or Sata II . Can anyone be some specific  with details specific or model no.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 28th, 2017 09:00

SLC/MLC/TLC are internal to the drive - yes, there are differences, but not to the system.  The controller onboard the drive handles all of that.  All that matters is that you get a standard, 2.5" SATA SSD.  Any of them will work with your system.

Yes, there are speed differences - the XPS L502x is new enough to support a 6G/s SATA drive.

The front runners would be the Samsung Evo 2.5", a Crucial 2.5" or an Intel 2.5" drive.  There are others, but with the Big 3, you can't go far wrong.

No Events found!