Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2013 19:00

Start Date for Warranty

Best Buy sell a laptop three months after it was shipped. Customer boots laptop on date of purchase  and find three months of the standard one year warranty has already gone. I suggest this violates fair trading standards as all machines sold in retail stores are advised as coming with a 12 month warranty. I am also surprised this warranty does not allow the customer to call or even email technical support, which leaves them with the choice if suck it and see, takes it back to Best Buy and pay a "geek" $150 to suck their teeth and say "it will need to be returned to manufacturer" or post on the forum.

Warranty date starts from date the laptop is purchased by the end user in sealed box not that date the retail store ordered the laptop.

Limited Warranty in effect translates to no warranty at all.

I have used Dells since 1995 I am shocked this company no longer starts warranty from date of purchase (i.e. first boot)

1.8K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 20:00

Hi Richie,

Apologies for an unpleasant experience. If the system is purchased from the retailer, the Dell limited hardware warranty would be active from the date you purchased the computer. If you are in US, system comes with a one year limited hardware warranty (by default). 

You may private message me the following information via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation):

1. Service Tag of computer
  2. Date of purchase
  3. Country of purchase
  4. Complete address with city, state and zip code
  5. Phone number and alternate phone number. 

Once I have the details, I would be able to decide the next course of action. 

@ mpo: Thank you for assisting the customer. 

398 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 20:00

You still get one year from your purchase date for warranty service through Best Buy and/or Dell.

What do I do if I need warranty service?

Before the warranty expires, please contact us or our authorized representatives according to the following table. Long distance telephone carrier charges may apply. Please also have your Dell Service Tag or order number available.

If you purchased through a retailer (not directly from Dell), you may be required to provide Dell with your original sales receipt from your purchase to receive any warranty service from Dell.

If you purchased through Best Buy, you must have all original sales receipts from your purchase to receive any warranty service at a Best Buy store. For Canada, if you purchased through Future Shop, you must have all original sales receipts from your purchase to receive any warranty service at a Future Shop store.

July 16th, 2014 14:00

Hi,

I am having a similar issue, I purchased a laptop in August 2009, and bought a lifetime(5 year) warranty. However the warranty person at Dell told me that the warranty begins on the date the computer was shopped to Walmart, which was in April.

How do I get my warranty to be from  the date of purchase

1 Message

September 6th, 2016 01:00

1. <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

2. 5th September 2016

3. India

4. <ADMIN NOTE: Address removed per privacy policy>

5. <ADMIN NOTE: Phone number removed per privacy policy>

My warranty started before the date of purchase

No Events found!