Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

19 Posts

December 19th, 2008 22:00

Start-up Problem

My mom has an Inspiron E1505, and when the laptop is turned on, a warning comes on, saying that there was a problem with an I/O, something failed with it, so the computer is started up on a default profile everytime. Thus, my mom can't get to any of her previous pictures, or anything.

Any help?

1.6K Posts

December 20th, 2008 03:00

Most likely it is a failing hard drive.  Before you do anything else, remove the drive, mount it into a 2.5" SATA USB drive case, and attach it to a working system by USB.  Copy what you cannot afford to lose.

Then return the drive to the system, power on, press F12, load the Dell diagnostics - run the extended (NOT just the quick) hard drive tests.  You will likely receive a failure message, in which case you'll need a new 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive to replace the faulty one.  Once you've replaced the drive, reload Windows and your applications, and purchase an additional drive for keeping backups in the future.

950 Posts

December 20th, 2008 13:00

Try booting to safemode as administrator and see if she can get her files that way. Press F8 key before Xp starts to load. Also can you post exact message of the error here?

No Events found!