Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2016 08:00

Static noise from speakers (DELL i7559)

Sadly a static (never-ending) noise has been coming out of my laptop's speakers since yesterday (2-week old laptop).

-As far as I'm aware, there isn't any program that try to play any sound in the background.
-The static noise continues when another sound is played.
-The noise first appears after a while from when Dell logo appears, close to the sign-in part of windows 10.
-The noise stops as I plug in a headphone (i.e probably when the speakers are deactivated).
- As far as I’m aware, all the updates from Dell website is done, and no other update from any other source is done.
- I don’t know if it is related, but the issue started off after the day where my laptop was in the bathroom for a while (~ 10 mins).
Unfortunately I can't get a new unit as I bought the laptop from another country that I don't live in.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Forgot to mention that muting the sound and/or choosing the sound level to be 0 doesn't stop the noise. Also I feel like the speakers are hotter compared to other parts of the laptop. Should I not use it without headphones plugged in?

Edit 2: After I plug in headphones, the noise stops AFTER I select "Headphones" and press OK in auto-popping Dell Audio program.

Edit 3: 

I re-installed the audio driver, problem went away.

After a day it started again.

I re-installed it again, problem is gone again.

Hmm..

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

April 8th, 2016 17:00

Without knowing what happened in the bathroom (and its none of my business lol) it could be steam damage if you were taking a shower or bath or it could be a coincidence too.  Regardless it sounds like the speaker wires are damaged somehow or not properly shielded.  

I would engage a warranty transfer from the country you bought it to the new one you are in by clicking the link here and filling out the form.  It can take a week or two so be patient, and that way you can request warranty work on your laptop.  I will state however that if they find it is water damaged and you do not have accidental damage coverage you will be out of luck.  

4 Posts

April 8th, 2016 18:00

Hey, thanks for the answer.

Are you (can we be) sure it is a hardware related problem? I don't know, but I used my old laptop way harsher than this one... There was no steam in the room and I doubt whether there was any water  contact. I'm afraid doing the replacement can be too demanding for me, and even though it will feel bad, I'd rather use it this way than waiting for 30 days (and going through a process which I'm not at all familiar with, just being 19) for a new one. 

Also is it safe or dangerous to use the laptop as is with the speaker noise, should I avoid using it's speakers as much as possible?. The noise is hardly noticeable by the way, it kind of sounds as a HDD or even less than that. But surely it is problematic.

Any other solution idea?

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

April 9th, 2016 11:00

Hmmm.. I would transfer the warranty anyway just in case something down the line happens.  As for the speakers if its hardly noticeable it could be just normal interference being picked up by the speakers or speaker wires.  They pack things in there so tight these days.  I'm not sure where the speakers are on that laptop but it could be near a fan or HDD or even the battery, and they could be picking up Electromagnetic Radiation.  

4 Posts

April 10th, 2016 14:00

I re-installed the audio driver, problem went away.

After a day it started again.

I re-installed it again, problem is gone again.

Hmm..

No Events found!