Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

20 Posts

December 4th, 2008 08:00

Strange Sudden-Shutdown

Hello everyone!

45min ago, strange thinks happend. I was working on my Dell Latitude E6400, running on Battery which was 83% charged, wenn suddely the notebook shut down without warning. Trying to turn it on again, by pressing the Button failed, it behaved as if the Battery was put out - which wasn't the case.

I took out the battery for a few seconds, then took it in again, but still the Notebook didn't start up after pressing the Power-Button.

Next thing I tried was to run the system on powercord, and then, it booted up just as if it hadn't the error I descriped above. Also, disconnecting the Notebook from Powercord, didn't shut the system down, so, the Battery seems still working.

Has anyone experienced a similar error at one time? The technical support didn't know the error either.

4 Posts

October 1st, 2013 20:00

I know this post is almost 6 years old, however, I've just started having this exact same issue with my Latitude XT. Shuts off without any warning, won't power back on even though battery still almost fully charged. Will only power on after it's plugged into wall adapter. It just started happening to mine about a week ago and has been happening more and more often. I'm outside of warranty, so I'm probably just going to have to live with it until I can afford to buy a new laptop. :(

2.6K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 14:00

Hello Motopsyco,

I would request you to try updating the BIOS to the latest version and check if the issue persists. 

**NOTE: Few things to ensure before updating the Bios is, the Ac Adapter should be plugged in and the battery should have minimum of 15% charge. No other external peripherals should be connected to the computer. Please ensure that the Bios update should not be interrupted else it would damage the motherboard. 

Hope this helps!

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 16:00

Thanks for the reply. I was already on A08, but I went ahead and did what you said and updated to A09. Now it just a game of wait and see. I'll give it a week and report back.

2.6K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 20:00

Hello Motopsyco,

Sure! Please let us know how it goes. 

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 22:00

It's still happening. :(

2.6K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 18:00

Hello Motopsyco, 

Please try to power on the computer with know good battery (if available) and check if the issue persists. Let me know how it goes. 

4 Posts

October 10th, 2013 12:00

I thought I still had my old battery somewhere, but it seems I may have recycled it already. I don't have any other batteries to test with, however, being suspicious of the battery, I tried making it happen a few more times and each time the battery has been very hot to the touch at the time of failure. So it appears to be, at least in my case, a possible battery failure. I'll be ordering a new one hopefully next week when I have some more money and will see how it goes.

2.6K Posts

October 10th, 2013 19:00

Hello MotoPsycho, 

Before you spend any money, I would suggest you to take the laptop to a local store and check if the issue persists with another known good battery connected. This would help us isolate the cause of failure. 

Please write back with your findings. 

No Events found!