Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2016 05:00

Stuck at "rEFInd - Initializing" after trying to update Seagate HDD firmware

Hi! I recently bought an Inspiron 15 7000 (7559). I went to the "Drivers and Downloads" section of the Dell website for my model and downloaded and installed the latest  drivers and updates.

The issue happened when I got to the "Seagate ST500LM000/ST1000LM014 Firmware Update" download. I opened the bottom of the laptop and made sure that the update was for my HDD. My model was ST1000LM014 so I downloaded the update "Kahuna_ZPE.exe" and ran it.

It started to run but then stopped at where it said "rEFInd - Initializing" and a bunch of lines saying "Binary is verified by the vendor certificate". I thought maybe it just took time to initialize so I left for a workshop I needed to do at work and asked my wife to see what would happen. 8 hours after when I got home, it was still on the same screen. Now, when I switch it off and on, it always goes back to the same screen.

Has anyone encountered the same issue before and know how to resolve this? Thank you.

2 Posts

March 15th, 2016 06:00

Same here

2 Posts

March 15th, 2016 07:00

same here.  stuck, but was able to login using a different command when it boots itself....

What is going on????

Hope it does not happen again, but there is something serious wrong with that Firmware update.

Dell Please fix!!!!!

6 Posts

March 15th, 2016 09:00

Hi @mgehani1. Which command did you use to get back in? Did you mean the rEFInd main menu (pls see attachment image). If so, which command did you choose to boot back to Windows again? Don't wanna choose the wrong one and end up causing damage.

Thanks!

1 Attachment

1 Message

March 21st, 2016 13:00

This is happening to me as well!  

10 Posts

April 3rd, 2016 03:00

Same problem. I have spend 2 hours with somebody of Dell support premium one week ago and he does not succeed to upgrade firmware of my Seagate disk on my Inspiron 17 I7746. He said not to upgrade, but i got time to time a smart alert due to a bugg which is solved by this upgrade !

2 Posts

April 5th, 2016 20:00

Hello all, just had this happen to me and I have a quick and easy fix for you.

-Hold the power button to completely turn off your computer.

-Turn the computer on and hit the f2 key to enter the bios.

-Go to the boot menu

-Select the option called "add boot option"

- file names may be slightly different, but select "en_us ->" and then "__boot" and then there should be a file titled something like "boot.OS.64x" or similar. Select that. Then give it a name.

-Back in the bios boot menu, there should be a "boot priorities" list. Make sure the new boot option you created is priority 1

- hit f10 to save, exit, and restart.

-your computer should now boot, as normal.

I believe this issue happens because, for whatever reason, when the seagate firmware update is run it completely replaces your first boot option rather then creating a new boot option and being moved to first priority. This means that when the firmware update fails, the normal OS boot option is not there to run as a backup nor is it select-able in the normal boot priorities list.

Hope this helps, let me know if you get hung up and I can try to help.
-Parker

10 Posts

April 6th, 2016 01:00

Hello,

Thanks Parker for your help ! For everybody : take care about the language of your boot (french for me...).

To escape the Seagate loop which block the reboot, you can also (very simple without any change) use the arrow (Up) of keyboard continuously during reboot after manual turn off. Then when Seagate menu appear, choose ...boot.OS.64x... line and reboot your computer including User connexion, so that the Seagate Firmware Tool which was set as priority 1 in Boot options is reset and normal boot is set again. 

But the question not fix by Seagate/Dell is still on the table : how to upgrade the Seagate firmware ?

Jacques

10 Posts

April 6th, 2016 01:00

Hello,

Thanks ! For everybody : take care about the language of your boot (french for me...).

To escape the Seagate loop which block the reboot, you can also (very simple without any change) use the arrow (Up) of keyboard continuously during reboot after manual turn off. Then when Seagate menu appear, choose ...boot.OS.64x... line and reboot your computer including User connexion, so that the Seagate Firmware Tool which was set as priority 1 in Boot options is reset and normal boot is set again. 

But the question not fix by Seagate/Dell is still on the table : how to upgrade the Seagate firmware ?

Jacques

2 Posts

April 6th, 2016 09:00

Hi Jacques,

True, the arrow method from within the seagate firmware update process should definitely be tried first.

However, one thing that happened to me is after the first time the seagate firmware froze on me, it no longer booted as normal. Instead it booted immediately to a screen with repeating "binary validation..." text  and no longer allowed me to select a boot option.

If this occurs I believe the only current option is to manually add the your old boot option and alter its priority. 

-Parker

April 9th, 2016 13:00

Kudos JACQUESCERON....

This resolved the issue in 1 minute.

I just spent 45 minutes with Dell Support and was told the BIOS was corrupt and the issue was un-resolveable in Windows 10.

Shame on Dell Support.

10 Posts

April 10th, 2016 01:00

You are right and everybody can be very angry...

I have send a mail to the guy of Dell Premium support (France) who spend 2 hours with me ans not solve this problem, asking him to report to Dell because i was not alone (I give the link of the topic on Dell Community site). He answer just giving me again the phone number of Dell support services saying i have to call them... exactly as if he was not in charge of this problem !!!

And i have the service contract premium extension 4 years !!!

This is incredible ! What to do ?

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

April 15th, 2016 07:00

I have the same issue with the Seagate ST500LM000 not accepting the firmware update. My first attempt also had that boot loader issue, but I was able to get past that.

1 Message

April 28th, 2016 04:00

I am here in Malaysia with the Inspiron 7447. Same issue still stuck on the screen. No way to update the HDD firmware... My PC intermittently hangs as in do not respond.

No Events found!