Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2010 07:00

Studio 15 Hardware Conflict Between USB Flash Drive And Wireless Mouse Adapter

With a Logitech wireless mouse adapter (V220 Cordless Optical Mouse or Cordless Desktop S 510, no Setpoint software) connected to one of the USB ports on my Studio 1558 laptop (Intel Core i3-330M processor running under Windows Home Premuium 64bit), I experience the following hardware issues when connecting USB flash drives:

1. sporadic but rapidly repeating (2-5x) instances of System Event 11 "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DRX" with an old USB 2.0 compatible Memorex flash drive, and
  2. a persistent "USB Mass Storage Device - This device cannot start. (Code 10)" report from the Device Manage with a new Geek Squad 8 GB, USB 2.0, hot-swappable flash drive.

In the first case, the drive still can be accessed. Both flash drives work without any problems on an old Dimension 2350 desktop under Windows Xp and also on the Studio 1558 laptop when there is no wireless mouse connected. All USB devices are (supposedly) Windows 7 compatible and all the hardware drivers including the Intel chipset are up-to-date. An upgrade of the BIOS did not solve these problems nor did two hours of Dell Chatting or one hour of telephone support, which covered the most obvious possibilities.

Any assistance from the community would be greatly appreciated.

5 Posts

August 29th, 2010 10:00

After upgrading the BIOS from version A04 to A09, there is no longer a conflict between the USB flash drive and the wireless mouse/keyboard adapter. However, I can now no longer enter the BIOS setup with an external monitor and wireless mouse/keyboard. Furthermore, regardless of the BIOS or Windows settings, the USB ports will not maintain power during sleep mode.

No Events found!