Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

September 20th, 2008 12:00

Studio 15 - Have trouble with Windows waking up from Sleep

I bought the Studio 15 couple months ago and am having a lot of trouble to get windows to wake up from Sleep mode; 80% of the time, it will wake up once I click the power button; but 20% of the time, the light blinks and then it just dies; I will then have to hard restart the computer.  It is very frustrating. I ahve another Dell laptop with Vista and don't' have this problem at all;

What is going on?  Is this a hardware problem? I haven't installed any software except office.

453 Posts

September 20th, 2008 18:00

Have you checked for a flash BIOS update?  sometimes they fix bugs with a new flash BIOS release sometimes they change things with power management, fan schemes etc.  I would hit the support site and see if the BIOS offered is different from yours.  While the computer is booting up look at the bottom of the screen it should list the BIOS version for example my fiance's Vostro has A06.  If you see an A07 or higher it wouldn't be a bad idea to download and run the flash.  It's a windows based application and will do everything for you.  If that doesn't work then try going into your power management and as a test set it so the thing never goes to sleep.  If that doesn't work then I would either think about reinstalling windows or a hardware issue in either case contact Dell first since you are under warranty.

3 Posts

September 20th, 2008 18:00

Contacted Dell support this morning and they installed several updates, bios, video driver, etc; said everything should be fine; froze again this afternoon; wouldn't wake up.

It is really upsetting...

3 Posts

September 21st, 2008 20:00

Another call with Dell tech support, changed two more settings; the tech support said it will surely solve the problem.

Froze twice today.  Lost all confidence in Studio 15...

5 Posts

December 19th, 2008 23:00

I am having a similar issue with my 2-week-old Studio 15.

I have it set to sleep when the lid is closed on battery power.  About 10% of the time it will not wake up when the lid is opened.  The capacitive buttons flash in sequence, and the keyboard backlight comes on, but no video.  I can adjust the keyboard backlight, and the capacitive buttons glow when touched, but that's it.  Caps lock and Num lock do not work.  If the lid is then opened and closed, keyboard stays illuminated, capacitive buttons do not flash again.

It is as if it has partially woken up but is stuck.  As I'm writing this now I'm wondering what will happen if I wait the amount of time for it to back to sleep, maybe it will wake up then.  I'll give that a try.

Currently running A04 BIOS, latest on website is A05.  I may upgrade that also and see if it help any.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2008 22:00

Ditto here.  Had mine for three days.

Just upgraded to A06 and keeping my fingers crossed.  Was debating about completely reinstalling the O/S but I'm guessin' that isn't really the problem if it affects more than just me.

Also, my keyboard never lights up even though the setting is set to do it.  Maybe it's a lemon.

78 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 12:00

hi my system studio 1537 does same thing some people advise to change in power management not to sleep but what's the point in that.

have you tried pressing fn and right arrow key for the backlights?  apparently some got this feature as standard - mine was an extra i had to pay for.

i'm on bios a04 noticed they had a05 but never knew about a06. i've tried to update but something is wrong with my battery so it won't let me.

think dell's got a lemon tree!

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 17:00

Scratch A06 from your list of hopeful contenders.   The first two times, it came up just fine.  The third time, it started, the "eject" light lit up, and then it just sat there.  Then, after a minute, the light went off, I pushed the power button and it came on just fine.  Go figure.  Still flakey.

I received a suggestion to reinstall the O/S from scratch.   I have extra copies of Vista laying around the house, so I guess I could try that.  Something about weird power issues in Vista before SP1.  My laptop came without SP1 (it's on SP1 now) and it was suggested that maybe if I installed slipstreamed that that might get around the issue.  Color me doubtful.

On backlights, I guess maybe mine doesn't have that feature...   I touch type, so I almost never look at the keyboard anyway!

5 Posts

December 24th, 2008 06:00

You guys upgrading to A06 must have 1535's.  The website shows A06 for that model and A05 for the 1537, which is what I have. (1536 is still at A04)

I upgraded from A04 to A05 and the problem has gone away completely.  It now wakes up reliably unplugged or plugged-in.  There is a slight difference between the two:  When unplugged, it goes to sleep and wakes up based on the lid.  When plugged-in, it only goes to sleep when the power management timeout is reached (mine is set to an hour).  Then it requires a power button press to wake up.  This actually makes sense, and it has behaved consistently for dozens of cycles now.

dougbert: You may have an issue with your optical drive (or, possibly, the disk in it?), it sounds like it checks the optical as part of the wakeup sequence.  You may also want to check out this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19243924/19385552.aspx#19385552 they seem to be having similar problems, but more severe in some cases.

1 Message

January 8th, 2009 22:00

Has anybody else tried the A06 bios with success?  I have been having a problem recovering from sleep/hybernation about 10% of the time.  Dell support just wanted me to change the power options.  Not fixing the issue...just changing settings to prevent it.  I was not happy about that advice.  I guess I will try the new Bios as dell support has not helped me.

4 Posts

January 11th, 2009 21:00

I have tried A06 and the wake up problem is still there.

I have also reinstalled Windows with all the latest drivers available on 12/26/2008 and nothing has fixed the problem so far.

Dell techs only give me simple tweaks in power management that don't work either.

2 Posts

March 26th, 2009 21:00

Anyone have any luck?

I'm on my second Studio 15.  The first had this problem, and was sent back.  The second seemed to be fine for a couple of days, now it does it 5 times a day.

To be completely honest, I think this is a complete piece of garbage.  I doubt I'll ever shop at Dell again.

18 Posts

April 3rd, 2009 08:00

We purchased a Studio 1535 about 2 months ago and have had basically the same issues everyone in this thread is having. It is very disapointing to find that this is an ongoing issue that still has yet to be resolved. Changing power settings does not fix the problem, it is only a bandaid! I have not tried installing a BIOS update but I will give it a shot and will report back here.

Either by putting the computer to sleep or closing the screen the computer does not start up about 20% of the time. However It seems to be more consistent when it is put to sleep than when the screen is closed. Once the computer is opened the keyboard backlight goes on, the media controls respond to touch, it even seems to recognize when the power cord is unplugged or plugged in, and our USB wireless mouse will flash when it is inserted, but the screen does not turn on and clicking the power button does nothing. We've recently have left the computer on for 5-10 minutes and it eventually does start up. There is no rhyme or reason for this, but if you do have patience it eventually gets there...

A couple of times the computer will randomnly turn off. Anyone have this issue? No freezing issues to report during regular use.

Last night after waiting 10 minutes upon login there was an error with the docking station - we don't have a docking station. I'm beginning to think that this is a software issue or an issue with the power supply - battery. We have the larger 9-cell battery. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I will try the BIOS update as soon as I can.

Either way Dell needs to recognize that this is a reoccuring issue that will cause it to lose valuable return customers, like myself, and a solid reputation that it has already rebuilt once over.

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2009 20:00

I don't think anyone that has this recurring issue should go back to Dell for any purchase.  It's ridiculous.

Like I said, this is my second Dell Studio.  The first had numerous problems, from being scratched when I received it, to the recurring not waking from sleep, to the fingerprint reader constantly being buggy and not recognizing scanning... you name it, it was flat-out stupid.  There's no way there was any kind of quality check done on these things.

So I get the second one, which I spent a few bucks more for to upgrade from the previous model - and guess what... it's the exact same set of problems.  Now I don't have scratches, but I have a continuous "safe to remove hardware" thing popping up.  That went on for weeks before I realized it was the cheap plastic fake SD card they put in the slot to protect it from debris.  But yeah, still doesn't wake up, still doesn't recognize my fingerprint.  I spent enough time messing with it - now it collects dust and I use my 5 year old Toshiba for everything.

I also bought a Dell TV a few years ago, which is a complete waste of money.  I have to turn it on 5 or 6 times every time for the picture to actually turn on.  Maybe Dell needs to rethink selling their own products.  The only two things I haven't had problems with lately are the gaming system and external hard drive I've purchased - neither of which are "Dell".

Dell - thank you for nothing.

1 Message

April 5th, 2009 07:00

It is ridiculous.  I bought my 1535 back in January and have had problems with this since I got it.  I've updated the bios and still nothing.  I'm not calling technical support because every time I call I get someone who hardly knows English and knows less about the problem than I do.  It's frustrating.

Dell obviously realizes that their is an issue, given the number of people that are having the problem.  The question is, why aren't they addressing it? 

1 Message

November 8th, 2009 07:00

The same issue. It is indeed confusing issue.

I cannot figure why DELL cannot fix it...

No Events found!