Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2009 16:00

Studio 15 screen flicker

I just ordered a new Dell Studio 15 fired it up and the screen is flickering up and down and I cannot even get to the point to install Vista.  Has anyone had this happen and if so what was your solution.  I literally opened the package 5 mintues ago.

40 Posts

August 9th, 2009 20:00

Now THAT, is interesting my friend. Different displays, same problem. So that may mean that its not the display at fault. Could be a loose connection, video card driver thing, electromagnetic interference too close to the monitor...Lots of possibilities, I'll try the Dell online support and see what they say.

6 Posts

August 9th, 2009 22:00

So, I contacted Dell support the other night about this issue and the fact that ontop of my flickering screen i have a dead pixel and a sticky keyboard. I was told that a tech will come out to replace my keyboard, motherboard, lcd kit and videocard. I bet that I'll have the same screen issue again even after they replace it. Totally bummed about this because I love the computer and I have to leave for school @ the end of the month so it's not like I can return it ugh. Lets hope the technician swaping everything out will help. doubt it. I have he LGD7001 also. oh and this background will really show you how bad this issue is http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/651/4c4c4c.jpg

9 Posts

August 10th, 2009 02:00

I don't think its a power issue. Check by putting your laptop on AC power and reducing the brightness level to minimum, I suppose there also you will see flicker.

If even after replacing the screen, flickering is there than its an issue with the video card.

I have called a DELL technician tomorrow and he is going to replace my screen. Let's see whether its a screen fault. Anyways seeing that so many people are facing the same issue I must say that DELL must compensate us all. After buying a Dell laptop I feel as if I have added one more worry to my daily schedule.

Hope Dell resolves it.

14 Posts

August 10th, 2009 02:00

Dell Studio 1737 with SEC5442 screen.

Ati Radeon Mobility.

Flickering on lower brightness settings.

My screen was replaced again with SEC5442 and all connections were checked.

It still flickering on lower brightness and on battery.

For me it is power issue.

I believe Dell must compensate all of us.

14 Posts

August 10th, 2009 03:00

I"m happy with my Studio 1535 and with the support too.

But in my fathers case, He was for Sony Vaio, and I suggest him Dell.

He don't blame me, but I blame my self.

I don't want to mention, but IndexBG, Bulgarian Dells official distributor lies me 3-4 times.

First the maximum delay by their rulles was 20 days, but I received my notebook on 25th day.

Second they told me "your notebook will be made in Ireland", but I can see on the notebook "Made in Poland"

Third the worst - I had to bring 3 times the computer to the service centre and they hold it for 3 days for display replacement. And I paid for Next Business Day on Side.

And I found flickering screen issue on first day and I informed IndexBG (Dell's distributor) on second. And They didn't give me even a option to return the whole notebook.

Dell are my debtor!

9 Posts

You are not getting the issue on AC power supply because when AC supply comes the brightness of the screen increases automatically. It is the default setting of the LCD screen. Try reducing the brightness to minimum on AC supply, I am sure you will get flickering screen.

Do check your laptop screen thoroughly yourself instead of believing what DELL people has to say about it. This is insane all the new laptops are getting issues and DELL doesn't seem to be worried about it at all.

14 Posts

I know.

I always adjust the screen brightness by myself.

BUT the last time with AC on lowest brightness - the issues was gone.

And immediately after I removed AC, the notebook went on battery lowest brightness  - the issues came again.

I tested it several times.

I guess in my case the issues very often comes in battery, and rarely on AC.

In the service centre they said it is driver issue, because after they replaced the driver with the same driver from Dell's web - the issue was gone for one time.

But the notebook was close to the windows and It was hard to notice or not notice the issue.

14 Posts

My English is not very good but I will try to explain.

Before the replacement of the screen, I had both issues on battery and on power supply, not only under Windows Vista, but under BIOS as well.

After the replacement I can notice the issue only on battery, on power supply seems it is gone.
We spend 2000 $ for this notebook, because We are in Bulgaria (small country in Europa).

This is my fathers notebook, He has to work on it, and I just test it from time to time.

It is brand new, only on some weeks.

I had Studio 1535 with LGP LED screen and I'm problem free.

I'm not very happy, because I suggest to my father - "Dell" as very good notebook.

So the story has moral side.

9 Posts

August 12th, 2009 07:00

Hey guys,

I'm curious to know if the motherboard changes fixed the problem. Some of you said that the Dell guy was supposed to change it, any news on that?

Somebody, from another forum made this picture to see the problem. Open it, zoom in and turn the brightness to 1/3 and enjoy.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/651/4c4c4c.jpg

Man, I don't want to change the laptop. I like it a lot. I don't want to pay more for another. They need to address this and quickly. I'll call them probably tonight and talk to them.

If somebody has new info, please keep us posted!

TO "W Shackelford": I just love the 1080p display. So crisp. I usually always go on the same website and so far, everything looks good.

9 Posts

August 12th, 2009 21:00

Hi Guys

Yesterday Dell technician visited me. he replaced my LGD7001 LCD with a different make LCD and the problem of flickering simply vanished.

Now i am totally happy with my LCD. My piece of advice to all facing the same issue "Get your LGD7001 replaced, the series seems to be plagued"

Cheers........

14 Posts

August 13th, 2009 03:00

Ok, but I have SEC5442 screen.

Can you please check your new LCD hardware id?
You can find need information in "Device manager, Monitor, Hardware Id"

40 Posts

August 13th, 2009 09:00

Awesome, i should call up Dell then. What did he replace it with, though? I hear the Samsung screen has terrible viewing angles compared to the LG we both have.

14 Posts

August 13th, 2009 10:00

Yes it is

40 Posts

Yes what is?

14 Posts

I have both Samsung and LG screen.

And LG has better contrast and better viewing angle.

They are just not same class monitors.

I saw Samsung normal screen on ACER ASPIRE and It is better than Samsung LED Screen.

Dell still makes me to wonder, why they wants to disappoint me, their loyal client with Samsung flickering screen.

Not to mention Samsung has warm white and It is more like yellow.

No Events found!