Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

W

November 25th, 2008 13:00

Studio 1535 XP Microphone Input too quiet

I downgraded to Microsoft XP on a Studio 1535 laptop because I just couldn't stand Vista...too slow and incompatible with lots of programs. I seem to have found out too late, though, that the IDT 92HD73C1 sound card drivers for XP don't allow for microphone boosting for some reason. Is there a reason for this? The drivers I found from a Google search for studio 1535 xp drivers and the audio driver itself has the name "PIDT001.exe". I tried to talk to a friend on a VoIP program with an external microphone that I have tested with no problems on other computers and that's when I realized that the sound was coming out too quiet.

I'm sure other people have complained about XP drivers for the Studio laptops so let me just add another voice onto the pile. I don't want to be stuck with a OS like Vista longer than I need to, and I would prefer a solution to XP, for all drivers (like the internal microphone and fingerprint software), but audio is what I reall want. I contacted IDT about it but their website pointed me here, so here I am asking for help from the Dell workers as well as other Studio owners. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Lookup:

1 Message

December 2nd, 2008 07:00

I had to "downgrade" to XP as well because Vista could not run the software that I need to use.  I seem to have everything up and running other than my microphone.  Dell really needs to start providing XP support and drivers for the Studio line of laptops.

Please let your voice be heard and press them for this support.

1 Message

December 16th, 2008 11:00

I downgraded my studio 1735 to XP as well because my work need software for win XP. All running but microphone doesn´t work. I asked dell for support and answer was that this model is vista support only :-(. It´s unhappy, that big company as DELL is, cannot support OS, which customers demands. This is only thing which makes me unsatisfied with this great Notebook. So -1 point for DELL from me :-(

1 Message

February 4th, 2009 01:00

Forced to downgrade to XP on my 1737  also because of application I needed for work. Found this site for the XP drivers which was good. http://dellstudio.jeroenzelle.nl/

But as I need to use my laptop a lot with SKYPE (VOIP) I have found that I am now stuffed as cannot get the microphone to work as it is to quiet. If anyone has a FIX for this please let me know.

Was happy with the laptop but as cannot get micrphone to work feel I have made a very expensive mistake....   :((

This has really put me off DELL. When it comes time to replace my office computers/laptops I will be letting my feet do the talking and look elsewhere.

12 Posts

August 24th, 2009 14:00

am also having the quiet mike problem with IDT Audio on a XPS studio 13 running Dell-fitted Vista 32 home premium

i do a fair bit of voiceover work - tried five different microphones of varying quality and only one gave a decent level when using BB flashback - the internal mike array worked fine but at low quality as it can't get rid of background noise in the way a good unidirectional mike on a stand can.

updated drivers etc

have raised a ticket with dell, more in hope than expectation

No Events found!