Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2010 12:00

Studio 1535 fan runs continuously at max RPM

Hi there, hopefully someone from Dell or one of the members here can help me with this. My Studio 1535 fan runs non-stop whenever the computer is turned on, the only way to get the fan to turn off is to pick the computer up. This Youtube video illustrates the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISIcmEOJt88

What I am hoping is for someone to let me know where I can get a replacement fan and heatsink part to fix this problem. Or perhaps someone out there has a better solution.

I would contact customer support but of course my warranty expired a few months ago, so I'm out of luck.

Thanks in advance for any tips or solutions!

9 Posts

March 25th, 2011 04:00

Hello,

My workaround is to put a book about 1 cm thick at the back of the laptop. After some time, the workaround was not effective anymore, so I put 2 books.  Now the workaround is to remove the battery.  It definitely helps, but for how long ?

Regards,

metatech

5 Posts

August 6th, 2011 12:00

I`m experiencing the same. I have bought my laptop with the 9 cell battery so the bottom of the laptop is raised at the fan side. I`m waiting for my laptop to "die" and I`m going to buy a Thinkpad.

This is my worst experience with Dell in my life. They are not a customer focused company. I`m a computer tech user and all my friends coming to me what computer to buy and it wont be Dell I`m sure!

The Sata speed is limited to Sata150 under Windows too!

9 Posts

August 7th, 2011 00:00

Hello,

I found a stable workaround.

I stack books approximately 3 cm height.

The critical point is to find how many centimeters the stack of books must be slipped under the laptop from the rear (on the right side)

Generally a few millimeters too far can make the span spin at ful speed.  

With this workaround, the laptop can work a full day without the fan going at full speed at all.

I successfully used it the past few months.

Good luck,

metatech

5 Posts

August 7th, 2011 01:00

Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

Because I have a 9 cell battery in my laptop (Studio 1535) already more than 1cm height at the back (fan side). 99% of the time I`m using my laptop in my lap so I cannot put books or anything similar underneath it.

My CPU constantly 55-60 degrees C and the room temperature is 22 degrees C.

The thing is I`d like to see some BIOS/software solution for this continuous fan running (not full speed, but audible and annoying), mainly I`m using the internet and not running CPU intensive processes.

Dverez,

3 Posts

August 7th, 2011 01:00

u guys wanna solve the problem? u cant, dell laptops are garbage, but to slove it for a while, unscrew the back panel, pull the mb cmos battery, wait 10 seconds, put it back in and problem solved. It will go back to doing it after awhile so ull have to keep pulling the batt every few weeks or so.

9 Posts

August 7th, 2011 04:00

Dverez :

It's a "normal" situation then…   The fan spins at around 3000 RPM, which is not quiet and can be distracting when working.  However, the original problem mentioned in this thread means that the fan goes around 6000 RPM, very loudly.

Have you tried enabling PowerPlay on maximum battery in the ATI graphic drivers ? (it should already set by default to this in battery mode).

5 Posts

August 7th, 2011 04:00

By default this is what I have: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18635761/PP.jpg

9 Posts

August 7th, 2011 09:00

If you often use the laptop on AC power, you should also choose "Maximize Battery Life" for "Plugged In", the fan stops spinning all the time but only around 1-2 minutes every 15 minutes.

3 Posts

August 7th, 2011 11:00

its not normal, these things just are junk and like to do whatever they want. for instance, my keyboard sometimes stops working, non of the touch buttons work on mine, and the eject doesnt work. pull the mb batt and they all work for a while then stop again, i will never again buy a dell.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2011 11:00

The answer above helped me fix my problem with my Dell Studio 1535 with the Fan speed running all the time.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2011 11:00

I had the same problem for a number of months.  I opened the bottom of the laptop, per the instructions in the manual - there are 6 screws to loosen, and then used compressed air to loosen some large clumps of dust that had accumulated in the fan area.  I carefully removed the larger pieces of dust/lint and blew more compressed air into the fan area.

I replaced the cover and booted up the machine and it seems to be running much quieter.  When I ran the Dell diagnostics prior to doing this it gave me an error message 3700:011b.  MSG processor fan, fan speed incorrect.  It was running too fast at 6087 RPMs, which is way too fast.  Once I did the aforementioned steps and ran the diagnostics again the error did not appear.  Hopefully that fixed it for good.

I also updated the BIOS to the A5 version a couple of weeks back, as per the advice of some other people on the web.

Good luck!

1 Message

October 10th, 2012 05:00

Mine had been driving me nuts running flat out constantly. Updating the Bios as recommended elsewhere in this strand solved the problem totally. A simple solution, just download the latest from the drivers pages on Dell.com

No Events found!