Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2009 09:00

Studio 1537 Backlit Keyboard

Hi all -- I have a fairly new studio 1537 with the backlit option.  It worked fine for the first couple of months but now will no longer come on.  The options are enabled correctly (in quicket and using the fn-right arrow key).  In addition, I've seen the light come on randomly, so the light itself is definitely working.  I think it's a software/driver issue, but I can't find any info online about how to reinstall that.  I did update QuickSet with no luck, but don't know what to do next.  Is there anyway to diagnose if this is a software issue vs. a loose connection?  I know the backlight has it's own cable.  Thanks.

4.6K Posts

April 5th, 2009 14:00

You'd probably be best contacting tech support about this one, since you've already tried what I suspect most of us would've suggested - namely reinstalling Quickset.

The only other thing I can think of, is reinstalling the chipset drivers... but I don't know what influence they have - if any, on the keyboard backlighting?

4 Posts

April 5th, 2009 15:00

Thanks, you're probably right.  One other interesting thing I noticed today as I was using the laptop in a darkened room.  If I press and hold a key down quite hard (typing normally doesn't do it) then the light comes on.  When I release the key it goes off again.  That  tells me 1) the light itself is working and 2) perhaps this is more of a hardware issue?

If anyone has additional thoughts or troubleshooting ideas, I'd love to hear them.  I guess installing a new keyboard is an option...

4.6K Posts

April 6th, 2009 08:00

If I press and hold a key down quite hard (typing normally doesn't do it) then the light comes on.  When I release the key it goes off again.  That  tells me 1) the light itself is working and 2) perhaps this is more of a hardware issue?

That makes it sound like the cable(s?) under the keyboard for the backlighting isn't connected properly/has come loose?

And that's almost certainly one for tech support to come out and fix... assuming you have on-site warranty of course?

It would be a shame to have to return it for what I suspect would be a quick and easy fix

Removing the keyboard only takes a few seconds, and it shouldn't take very long at all to locate the cause of/fix the problem?

Assuming they agree it probably is just a loose cable though, they *may* allow you to remove the keyboard yourself, to check for a loose cable/bad connection, without invalidating your warranty :emotion-55:

No Events found!