Jordy27
1 Copper

Re: Studio 1537 graphics corruption with various Intel GMA 4500MHD drivers

Hi veerana, thats the same system as I have got Smiley Sad 

As a temporary solution, I have found that downgrading to a very old driver does not produce as many glitches. Currently, I am using driver version 7.15.10.1508, and only once has the graphics corruption appeared for a small time. However, this driver is horrible - it halved my framerate in 3d applications, aero randomly cuts out occasionally, and some 2d applications are horribly jerky when displayed on a larger monitor.

Do you still have your Dell warranty? If so then I would advise contacting Dell about the problem - if you are lucky then Dell will finally stop being slack and release a bios update to fix the issue. Or if you are really lucky you will get a 2gb ram stick Smiley Happy.

If you don't still have your warranty, then you are stuck like me Smiley Sad   Downgrading driver is a temporary fix at best, so all we can do is hope that Dell stops ignoring us and releases a fix, as they did for the 17 inch model.

0 Kudos
OB Ron
1 Nickel

Veerana,

The video driver provided with Windows 7 for the GM45 mobile chipset is one of the newer ones that aggravates or exposes the graphics memory corruption problem, and thus if someone hasn't previously upgraded the video driver, the problem is very likely going to be first exposed upon upgrading to Windows 7.  Since 4GB of memory solves the graphics corruption problem (Intel admits it and the problem is gone now on my Studio 1537 since Dell provided the upgrade to 4GB, and others have said the same), and 64-bit Windows 7 works well with 4GB memory, I think this is a winning combination, and a nice upgrade.  If I had known I could have spent about $50 and avoided all the hassles with Dell, plus improved performance (not just because of more memory, but also faster interleaved memory cycle times), I would have done it in a flash.  In principle though, they're responsible for a defective product, and I can understand wanting them to provide the fix. 

I'm in the process of backing up, reformatting (with 100GB Windows partition, and 200GB data partition -- which also improves performance and provides lots of other benefits), and fresh installing 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium (which Microsoft doesn't make easy when using an upgrade, but I believe is necessary for changing to 64-bit).  I'll report back afterward on results.

Dell kind of leaves us on our own with upgrading a Studio 1537 to Windows 7.  They don't supply any Windows 7 compatible drivers or Dell Applications in the Dell Studio 1537 Downloads, but I believe we can use most of the drivers and apps supplied under the Studio 1737 Downloads section for Windows 7 64-bit, and also get newer drivers from chip manufacturer sites (such as at Intel for a newer version of the video/graphics driver than is posted on Dell Downloads).  I think Dell doesn't want to support Windows 7 on the Studio 1537 because they know that it will expose the graphics corruption problem.  The 1737 has the same problem, but Dell has posted the BIOS upgrade to "fix" it.  This isn't a true fix because the change in the BIOS is probably disabling Intel Virtualization Technology, which is a feature that you may want to take advantage of at some point.

OB Ron

0 Kudos
veerana
1 Copper

Thanks Jordy27 and OB Ron for your replies and suggestions, my system is under warranty until April 2010, so I think I am going to contact Dell next week and will post the progress.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Heraldic
1 Copper

Hi

I seem to be having a similar problem with with my Dell Studio EXCEPT it is a model 1555 NOT the 1537 but it is a UK model. Is this just the equivalent model in the UK can anyone tell me?

I also have the twin, unmatched, memory modules:1 x 2048 & 1 x 1024MB. GM45 chipset. Windows 7.

It is a BRAND NEW ( just bought for Christmas) computer and disappointing to be suffering from these glitches. I spent 4 hours on the phone to Dell Technical support, being passed from pillar to post and eventually told it is a software problem and that I'd have to pay them to get it fixed!! I declined and they simply said there was nothing else they could do and take it up with customer care-but warned me that there was nothing they would do either. Great service, eh? Especially for something that seems to be a known problem.

I'm hugely disappointed in Dell, whom I thought were better, and am wondering if you have any suggestions on here as how to approach this?

I would like to know if the Studio 1555 is the same/and or likely to be suffering from the same problem(it certainly looks like it)first of all though.

Also, what sort of difference would I see in terms of performance if I took out the 1024 module and operated only with the 2048MB one? I am a relatively light websurfing, occasional games computer user NOT at the cutting edge!!

Many thanks for any help from a very confused, non computer savvy, user!

Heraldic

0 Kudos
kevin666a
1 Nickel

i took my 1gb stick out and sold it on craigslist then i ordered a new 2gb pc2-6400 ddr2 sodimm and its working great. taking the 1gb stick out fixed everything and the other 2gb made things a little quicker again. just try to get a stick that matches the latencys here are mine:

JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #3 6.0-6-6-18-24 @ 400 MHz

0 Kudos
keypox
1 Nickel

Has anyone tried to use HDMI to watch a movie with audio through hdmi?  My sound works but pops, and crackles alot. 

I think this might be another issue with these, 'studio' laptops.  Ya know the multimedia notebooks.

0 Kudos
Jordy27
1 Copper

Hi keypox, looks like the answer to your issue is here. Upgrade to the latest drivers from intel (these are newer than the drivers that either Dell or Microsoft host). Hopefully that should solve your problem Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
keypox
1 Nickel

Tried that and tried ubuntu.  Neither work.  Pretty sure its another hardware problem. 

Wonder howmany people actually have tried using hdmi?

0 Kudos
veerana
1 Copper

keypox,

I have connected my Studio 1537 to LCD TVs via HDMI many times with no issues.

Here are my Driver details:

Driver Provider: Intel

Driver Date: 9/2/2009

Driver Version: 8.15.10.1892

0 Kudos
kevin666a
1 Nickel

i have never had a problem with the hdmi out even when i was having the video issue. only problem was 1080 movies would be so choppy it was unwatchable untill i replaced the 1gb now its 100% fine. using windows 7 64 bit and the latest drives from intel

try a different tv or hdmi cable

0 Kudos