Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2012 18:00

Studio 1555 Blank Screen

My Dell Studio 1555 blacked out totally today.  It did NOT power down, the screen just went black.  I connected it to an external hardrive but still nothing was found and it did not project. Obviously there is a problem.  I can power up and power down the laptop manually by holding power on/off button, but when I do turn it back on, I still only get a totally black screen (no flickers of light, no glimmers of hope...just a black screen).  I have taken out the battery, disconnected the power source, and still the only thing I get when I power back on is a black screen. It still charges my ipod, camera, etc. There is a crack under the power button and also on the left side in the same spot as well. The power button still projects a white light, the screen projects a black light. SUGGESTIONS/DIAGNOSIS?????

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 1st, 2012 18:00

mulemuzik

Welcome to the Community.  I am sorry to read that you are having this problem; I hope that I will be able to help.  The first thing that I would suggest will to be attach and external monitor to the system to verify if this is a no video issue, or simply the LCD has failed on your system.  If you get an image on the external monitor then you know that the problem lies with the LCD.

If you don't have an external monitor to test with try this.  Turn on the system while holding down the function key (FN).  If there is no image on the screen wait a few minutes and you might hear an alarm from the notebook. If you do hear the alarm please press the letter N in the keyboard.  If flat screens of color start flashing on the screen, then you know that the LCD is good and the system is able to run diagnostics.   If you hear the alarm but no video at all then the LCD is likely to be defective.   If there is no alarm or video at all the system is not POSTing or turning on.

Please reply back with what you find out.

TB

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 06:00

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, when I plugged it into the external monitor, there was nothing.  I tried holding the function key while starting it up but there was no alarm. It's just projecting black light from the screen when I turn it on. Like I said, there are cracks on the hinges under power button and on the opposite side which I taped up. Please reply with more help, thanks.

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 06:00

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, when I plugged it into the external monitor, there was nothing.  I tried holding the function key while starting it up but there was no alarm. It's just projecting black light from the screen when I turn it on. Like I said, there are cracks on the hinges under power button and on the opposite side which I taped up. Please reply with more help, thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2012 12:00

mulemuzik

The fact that there are cracks where the power button is may be the answer.  The power button is part of the LCD bezel and if the cables aren't connected correctly it could cause the problem.  

Assuming the cables are connected correctly you are looking at a no POST issue.  The prime suspect in no POST issues is the system board.  The trick in troubleshooting is to isolate the system board as much as possible and see if acts any differently.

Remove any external devices from the system, remove the battery, the hard drive and optical drive, any cards from the system including the wifi and if you have one, modem.

Plug the AC adapter on and turn on the system, if all of a sudden you get a power light, the system board might be alright.

Remove the AC adapter and plug in one memory stick and then crank the system up again,  does the problem continue, or do the power LEDs light up, Do you get an image on the display?

Test all sticks of memory and both memory sockets to verify if any of the memory is defective and if one or more of the memory slots seem to be defective.  If you are able to install both sticks of memory and the system now shows power and you have an image you may be out of the water.

Install the hard drive and see if you can boot to Windows now.

Then one by one install the rest of the devices and see if the problem returns.   Often the system will start up and running fine and then you install one more device and the problem starts all over again.  If this is the case then it is very likely that last device was the problem and will need to be replaced.  If you are able to return all the devices and the system is running, great you may have just saved the system.

If no matter what you do, you can't get the system to show and the problem is not one with how the bezel where the power button is cracked then you are likely looking at a defective system board.

TB

1 Message

February 24th, 2015 19:00

Hi, I was having the same issue, the pre boot menu loads and it does the color test. After I press N it beeps a few times and then goes back to the pre boot menu. What should I do next?
No Events found!