Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2013 21:00

Studio 1555 - Event 6008

Hello,

I have a 4 year old Dell which I have had cleaned and maintained by Dell services in order to keep temperatures and hardware in check.

However, I am constantly experiencing an "Event" according to Event viewer, or "Event 6008". What it says is "Computer shutdown at X time unexpectedly."

I have monitored temperatures, have all latest drivers for all components, yet I continually get the same crash. The computer goes completely off, no bluescreen, no error. I used "Who Crashed" in an attempt to record a dump file, but it keeps coming empty.

The error/crash occurs only during games, some more frequent than others. I have tried all possible options for those games, low to high settings/resolutions/etc, no background programs running - no difference. 

Some days, the error/crash occurs more rarely when unplugged and running on battery(which don't last more than an hour), and once I plug it in to charge it, it starts crashing in a few minutes.

It is also running Windows 7 64-bit, upgraded from the stock Vista(where the error/crash also kept occuring).

The laptop is a Dell Studio 1555(the widescreen version). I took it to one of Dell's shop for them to "fix it", tho after running all their stress tests they told me there is nothing wrong with the computer. So 7 completely different games crash the computer, but Dell's stress tests fail to identify what is wrong with it? 

Any assistance with this will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Max

1.8K Posts

March 16th, 2013 23:00

Hi Max,

It appears to be an issue with operating system of your computer. Please check if you are facing any system overheating issues. 

If you are facing system overheating issues, you may clean the air vents of computer by using a can of compressed air. Before you clean the air vents of system:

1. Turn off the System.
  2. Unplug the AC Adapter.
  3. Remove the Battery.

For more information on cleaning the vents, please visit the following link: http://dell.to/SAep59 

You may also check the CPU usage of computer and check if the issue is caused by any application on your computer.  To check CPU usage:

• Start the Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl, Alt and Delete at the same time.
  • This will show a screen with several options.
  • Choose "Start Task Manager." This will open the Task Manager Program window.
  • Click the "Performance" tab. In this screen, the first box shows the percentage of CPU usage. 
  • Then click on CPU tab once and check for the application with the maximum CPU usage.  
  • Right click on that application (make a note of the process) and click ‘End process tree’. 
  • Check if the same issue occurs.

Another step, you may try is to run Microsoft HotFix for the same issue and check if the issue persists. You may download and run Microsaft hotfix from link: http://bit.ly/ZKrUo 

Please share the findings. 

3 Posts

March 17th, 2013 03:00

I have had the vents cleared by Dell staff when I left them the laptop about couple weeks ago. Usually when I start up a game or anything CPU usage goes up to around 50-60%.

The microsoft hotfix is only for Windows 2000, not Windows 7.

1.8K Posts

March 21st, 2013 03:00

Hi Max,

Are you facing system overheating issues?

One possible reason could be graphic intensive applications which may require more memory for execution. When you check the CPU usage, right click on the application with the maximum CPU usage and then click ‘End process tree’ to check if the issue persists. You may also try running the Microsoft Hot Fix-it and then see if it makes any difference.

Another step you may try is to uninstall and re-install video drivers.

Click on “Start” and type 'Device Manager' in search bar --> Hit Enter --> Under “Display adapters”, you will find the video driver listed --> Right click on it and click on “uninstall” and check box to delete software --> Restart your computer and follow steps below: 

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA 
  • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • You will find the video driver under “Video”.
  • Click on the video driver depending on the video card your system has. (Install the same video driver which you uninstalled from “Device Manager”)
  • Follow the prompts on screen to install drivers.

If the issue persists, you may update system BIOS.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved. 

Link to update system BIOS: http://dell.to/Y0XZ72 

Hope this helps. 

3 Posts

March 21st, 2013 03:00

I have monitored all temperatures and none of them go above 70-75 the highest.

If I am playing a game, clearly it is taking the most CPU usage/memory, so what is the point of shutting it down by Ending Process tree?

I have already tried installing older drivers and the newest, and reinstalling the newest, no effect.

When I enter my service tag on DELLs support site, I get back with :

"We were unable to determine the product model for the Service Tag or Express Service Code you have entered. Please verify your entry or choose a product category below."

And my service tag USED to work, I don't know why the website is not accepting it now.

I thought it was a BIOS issue so I updated it to A13 without any problems(no power interruptions), still same problem.

Issue still persists.

1.8K Posts

March 24th, 2013 01:00

Hi Max, 

I was trying to explore the processes that may freeze or shut down the computer due to excessive consumption of CPU and memory. Therefore asked to end the process tree(sometimes a single instance of a process may call multiple services of operating system leading to a crash). Error 6008 looks like a generic error log and does not produce any conclusive information. We tried a few related steps that could help us troubleshoot this error; am afraid, were not too useful. 

At this stage, restoring the factory default settings would be a logical move. This will help us to isolate the possibility of a hardware failure. Factory image restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well. 

For more information on this, you may refer to link: http://dell.to/Wj1rZe 

Do reply for further clarifications. I will be glad to assist.

No Events found!