Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2011 06:00

Studio 1555 hinge problem

The plastic cover over the hinge with the power button, on my Studio 1555 notebook, has cracked, and I'm curious as to whether Dell will cover this?  I have warranty (not complete care), but wondering if it's worth the effort to contact them only to find out they won't cover it.

Thanks,

4 Posts

August 27th, 2011 07:00

I understand ejn63, and do not expect a problem-free product for the years of use we want out of it -- which is why I did not bother contacting Dell when the hinge/cover originally broke, and instead without complaint brought it to the local computer repair shop I use (as I have for other problems), since the notebook was out of warranty.  For me, the tipping point was the run-around and attitude from technical support and customer service after the computer shop told me this problem was one this type of notebook has had and the design of the cover and bezel had changed.  Customer service can and does vary from company to company -- whether any other computer company will be different remains to be seen.  I have been a Dell user for so long that I have not had the experience of other computer mfr's, but I have noticed a decrease in Dell's customer service over the years, so this encounter was simply another reminder it is probably time to given someone else a try.  Like others have said, computers have become increasingly commodity-like and quality is not going to vary much from brand to brand within a certain grouping of them, so things like service (I can deal with the response "there's nothing we can do" if I don't get the runaround and suggested to talk to someone else, which leads a person to believe something can be done -- even if the message is the same, how it is delivered can make a large difference).  Fortunately, there are some companies out there that do still believe in customer service, and I would like to see next time if I can find out whether any of the other computer mfr's can improve on Dell's.  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 27th, 2011 08:00

Sorry, but all the other manufacturers of low-end budget systems (Acer, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, ASUS, etc.) will treat the situation exactly the same.

Yes, Apple is different - and Dell is  with Latitudes, Lenovo with Thinkpads and HP with its business models.  That's not what you bought - what you bought is a low-end budget system.  You'll find the situation no different with the others.

Every system that sells for under $1,000 will have compromises somewhere.  If you're not comfortable with that, buy a higher-end, better-designed system next time - or buy a 3-year warranty (which is good advice for any notebook, since there's a chance of somewhere between 25-30+ percent, you'll need it -- with ANY of them.

January 29th, 2012 17:00

I also have a Studio 1555 that has a hinge problem. It cracked a few months ago and the past few weeks it is getting unmanageable. I have to position it at a certain angle to use it and it is horrible. I also noticed someone posted about their powercord being taped together, I had to do that before my first year was up(bought aug.09, tape was probably on my march/april)...Will have to try and get Dell to fix this for me! Has anyone from Canada dealt with them before? I am wondering how long I will be without a computer!

11 Posts

January 30th, 2012 07:00

I'm in New Brunswick and I sent mine out to have them fix the hinge problem (under warranty).  It was about three days turnaround time to have it fixed and returned.

January 30th, 2012 08:00

thank you!!! that sounds pretty good :) I'm from NL so it would just take a few more days then that for me usually! Unfortunately I was visiting family in the USA when I bought my laptop and it shipped there so I am currently going through a "yes, it was shipped to the USA but I live in Canada" problem...of course it can't be easy and they can't just accept that it needs to be fixed in Canada!

January 30th, 2012 11:00

why would you buy another Dell? Didn't you learn anything?

January 30th, 2012 12:00

I didn't buy another one, I will be getting it fixed for free. BUT, in saying that I do love my computer. I also had a Dell desktop that I also loved.

January 30th, 2012 12:00

sorry, that reply was meant for darynmurphy. Complain about the quality, just to buy another one. Insanity.

1 Message

March 11th, 2012 14:00

I am staring at my wife's Dell Studio 17" which is about 1.5 years old. We bought it at Staples and added a 4 year extended warranty. What a joke and a waste of money. We used to have only Dell computers. After I get rid of the Studio we will be down to ZERO. The computer was not dropped or abused in any way. Yet the hinge cracked and the extended warranty proved useless. We will not purchase any more Dell computers. This is a design defect and should have been flagged for extended warranty protection.

Very reminiscent of what Samsung did with the capacitor problem on their Flat Screens. Ignore the problem, excuse the problem and hope no one takes them to court. The successful class action suit against Samsung proves the fallacy of this approach.

Slow motion demise of a once great company:(

1 Message

November 3rd, 2012 14:00

I had the hinge problem as well I was just short of the warranty expiring and they repaired it! But then they offered me extended complete care which would replace any accidental damage through 2014. The guy said it would cover anything including dropping it in a bath tub.  My kid dropped my laptop and now it has a screen that goes in and out and the cracked hinge(other side) is completely open and several pieces of the top are broken.  I ask them how I can get it fixed and they said it won't cover hardware only if I have the other warranty as well? What!!? The person who sold me this warranty sold it to me because he noticed my other one was expiring and he said this would cover any accidental damage.  It was a studio 1555 which we paid over $1000 dollars for. I am so unhappy with dell! That was dishonest to tell me I am covered and now try to say I am not!  

No Events found!