Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2010 14:00

Studio 1558 Freezes then crashes

I purchased a Studio 1558 with a Core i7 and 8 meg of ram. It often freezes and crashes as well my pointer will become larger. It's so bad now I have been forced to use my old laptop........Also I just download A10 Bios.....will that solve the problem?

September 22nd, 2010 14:00

There are a few things that will cause this. I would suggest doing a virus scan first.

Second, make sure its not overheating, although that usually causes a shut down.

Boot into safemode (if possible) and turn off automatically restart system on crash.

right click my computer

properties

advanced settings

advanced tab

startup and recovery

look for the check box there.

this will generate a bsod if it crashes, so you have something to go on.

While in safe mode, run malwarebytes Its free, and works great.

9 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 15:00

Thank you, I will try this.....and just to note, my laptop started to crash within the first day I purchase it....circa Aug. 15th time frame.

9 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 17:00

Ok, I did everything you mentioned and I had another crash.......any suggestions ?

1 Message

September 22nd, 2010 21:00

Hi, me too had the same problem. I am using Core I7 840QM with 6 GB ram. I brought this laptop at August first week, and was facing random shutdown and hangups. The problem was solved by updating the bios and then updating all drivers.

The main culprit of this problem was with the free fall sensor driver which comes with the original system. So I uninstalled that driver and installed the latest driver from dell and the problem is gone.

Hope this will help you to fix your problem.

9 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 21:00

Ok, I have downloaded all the drives, including the malwarebytes program and ran it in safe mode, but again today my laptop locked up and I had to shut down....any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Steve

11 Posts

September 24th, 2010 05:00

i used to have this problem. but i got solved after updating new bios everytime and the newest ati driver on their website.

11 Posts

September 24th, 2010 15:00

oh i remember.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19325689.aspx

update to bios a10, newest ati driver. mines is smooth and fast! blazing 720qm right now. and dell will exchange this processor for the 920xm! for free! 1000 dollars woooot

11 Posts

nah were here to help eachother. im very satisfied about their customers service. paid like 50 euros for 4 years of warranty.

tell em ur components are not compatible with eachother. tell em u want a replacement on at least one of the components. the motherboard and graphcard is combined so tell em the 720qm is bad for this composition. ive read some ppl who got their proc replaced by a better one, like 820qm at that time.

if they agree (they have to, cuz they wont give u a whole new system cuz that will take em two weeks instead of replacing a proc, 15 mins), tell em u dont really need the 820qm and ull be fine with 740 (i thought 740 is better because its newer and its cheaper than the 820. use this as an argument. if ur lucky they will give u the 840 or 920/940, haha:p)

tell em about me, and lots of ppl who got a better proc because dell said to us that this is the best way to fix the problems! and it will save them from time and effort and ofc a lot of money trying to solve this problem.

9 Posts

Ok update, I called the Premium Support Hotline from Dell, they reinstalled everything include Java and .Net .......Everything was fine and I walked away from my computer and it had crashed....10 mins after I got off the phone.....Help please.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

9 Posts

Hmmmm. I watched him update to the lastest bios (A10) .....I believe the release date was 9-14-10 still crashes, should I escalate this to Dell and how would I do that?

Sorry for being really dumb on this issue......and thanks for helping me out

Steve

No Events found!