Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2013 13:00

Studio 1558 SD card reader not working

For no apparent reason my sd card reader has stopped working and when I run an windows diagnostic it says that it can't even be found!! :emotion-3:

Any ideas??

3.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 13:00

Hi ChelleC,

Did you make any software or hardware changes? May I know the operating system installed on your computer.

You may try updating the card reader driver. Click on the link http://dell.to/14NMsYM -> type the Service tag of the computer -> choose the operating system -> expand Chipset -> download and install the file named Ricoh Card Reader xxxx.

Hope this helps.

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 13:00

Hi, I am not aware of any changes being made. I have gone into the drivers section and put in my service tag number however there there is no chipset  to expand :-/

3.1K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 15:00

Hi ChelleC,,

Try to download and install the driver from the following link http://dell.to/12mCJXC.

6 Posts

July 12th, 2013 10:00

Hi Appu,

I have downloaded and installed the driver and restarted my laptop but still no luck.

3.1K Posts

July 12th, 2013 16:00

Hi ChelleC,

You may uninstall the USB root hubs and check if it makes any difference. To uninstall USB Root Hubs:

• Press and hold the Windows key and press 'R' key. This will open the run window
  • Type 'devmgmt.msc' without the parenthesis, click on 'Ok'
  • Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’
  • From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’
  • Right click, choose ‘Uninstall’, choose ‘Ok’
  • Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed
  • Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled
  • Restarted the computer'. Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer

Then, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and uninstall all the options starting with the name Ricoh -> restart the computer.

Once done, update the Chipset driver. Then download and install the card reader driver again from the same link shared in my previous post.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

November 1st, 2017 12:00

I had the same problem, then upgraded my Win 10 Pro to Version 1709 OS Build 16299.19. this brought the SD card reader back to life.

No Events found!