Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2012 21:00

Studio 1558 Wireless Problem

Hello all....I'm new to this place so pardon the ignorance. I've searched all over the internet and I can't seem to figure out what happened. Here's a quick backstory....

I had some computer issues so I finally decided to reformat my computer and reinstall Windows 7. Everything seems to be working just fine with the exception of my wireless adapter. I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried installing the driver for it, and I get an error message saying that the required hardware isn't detected, and thus the driver won't install.

So how am I supposed to fix this issue? I mean the wireless card is still inside my laptop right? lol

I have no idea what to do. Any thoughts?

My computer is out of warranty, so I doubt that calling Dell is going to help me any.

Thanks for any and all help.

September 19th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

As you have mentioned that you receive an error of hardware not detected, I would recommend you to check the status of wireless adapter in BIOS.

1)      Reboot the computer.
    2)      Press the F2 key to enter the setup screen (BIOS).
    3)      On the System Setup screen, select Advanced and click wireless option.
    4)      On the next screen check if the Internal WLAN is enabled or disabled.
    5)      If it is disabled then enable it and save the settings.

Refer to the snapshot below:

Once you have performed the above steps then restart the system and try loading the Wifi drivers from the Resource CD or Dell’s support site.

Please reply with the results.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

6 Posts

September 19th, 2012 17:00

Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunately, this does not seem to have fixed my problem. Everything was enabled.  I tried the drivers again and still no luck (I assume I'm using the right drivers.)

Any other thoughts? Could the reformat have messed up my wireless card permanently?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 20th, 2012 03:00

CoopF4,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

6 Posts

September 20th, 2012 18:00

Thanks for the link! I did not install the drivers in the right order most likely? Do I need to start over and reinstall windows?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 20th, 2012 18:00

CoopF4,

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

6 Posts

September 21st, 2012 20:00

Man...this is so frustrating.

I tried installing the drivers in the correct order as you suggested and when I tried the first one (the dell system utility) I got an error message stating that the processor doesn't support the install or something along those lines. Any other suggestions? I'm starting to lose hope and wonder if I didn't damage something permanently....

Thanks for any continued help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2012 13:00

6 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 19:00

I haven't created any backup discs or anything of that nature. I want to start from scratch. The article you linked said it was for Vista. I can't seem to get the link to 7 to work... I guess I just don't understand why the wireless seems to be the only thing not working...

6 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 21:00

I went back and started over completely by reinstalling Windows 7 on a completely empty hard drive. I followed your advice and started to install the drivers in the correct order. I tried the NSS first as suggested, and I get an error message every time.

I'm at a loss. Can a Dell technician help me out over the phone or will they charge me an arm and a leg. I'm pretty good with computers for the most part, but this seems to have a reached a point beyond my capability. I don't know what to do, and I feel like I've done everything you've suggested, but failed every time.

I sincerely appreciate the help though.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 24th, 2012 04:00

CoopF4,

See if this article helps.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

No Events found!