Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2009 21:00

Studio 17 Blue Screen and shutdown when removing my external HD

I picked up a studio 17 to replace my ailing desktop and started transferring files over. After storing a few files on my Western Digital external HD I disconnected it and plugged it in my new laptop. The computer recognized the drive fine and I was able to transfer all the files fine.

When it came to disconnect it I clicked the icon on the system tray to disconnect. I received my prompt that it was diconnected and I can safely remove the device, but when I unplugged the HD I got a blue screen error and the computer shut down on me. 

Has anyone experienced this? What can I do to solve it?

1 Message

yeah i have experienced the same thing . everytime i remove a usb device the blue screen crash happens. i ended up doing a sytem restore i just hope it doesnt happen again.

1 Message

Same thing with me but it was after the Vista SP2 update now I can't use any of my USB ports or I get the blue screen...

4 Posts

August 26th, 2009 22:00

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Has anyone had any luck resolving this. 

I tried some other stuff and did realize all the external ports have the issue. I know it's not the hard drive too because I get the same error with my SD card. 

As someone who uses an external drive as a neccesity for work this is a pretty big flaw in the system. I might be able to get over it if it were a one time issue or just happened during monthlu backups but I have to use an external HD daily. If Dell hasn't addressed it or found a solution I'm just going to have to return the computer. How can you sell something that doesn't function properly with any external connection. 

August 27th, 2009 07:00

This is on a 2 day old studio 15 incase anyone wonders

August 27th, 2009 07:00

This happens to me to

I Remove USB Mouse = BSOD

I Remove USB Stick or Phone = BSOD

I Exit the Webcam on Windows Live = BSOD

After paying £550 for a laptop i cant even remove a USB device without getting a blue screen error, its ridiculous you can sell a computor in this state and get away with it.

9 Posts

August 27th, 2009 08:00

I and a few others had this problem, seems like its to do with the recent windows update. The way we have fixed it is by deleting one of the updates done recently called KB973879

here is the thread: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19291390.aspx?PageIndex=2

4 Posts

August 27th, 2009 10:00

Thanks Leo, I'll have to give that a shot when I get home today. Do you know of any other updates that are causing issues? and is there any special way to uninstall the update, or do I just search for the file and delete it? 

It came with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released. I'm hoping that fixes everything.

No Events found!