Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2009 13:00

Studio 17 has insomnia! Tries to sleep but wakes up

Please help! I have a studio 17 with ATI 3650 video card. On occasion when I attempt to put the computer to sleep it tries but "re-awakens" even with the lid closed. I'e tired the following fixes without resolution:

1. I've allowed the computer to sleep on the multimedia settings in the power config.

2. I've disabled all of the modules possible that can re-wake the computer (USB, Sound Card etc)

3. I've run the command code "powercfg lastwake" when the sleep has failed. It tells me the re-awakening feature was the power button even though this was untouched.

Anyone have ideas?

2 Posts

April 15th, 2009 13:00

I've got the same problem (same laptop Studio 1735)  bought just before Christmas.

Here's what happens...

The laptop often turns itself ON during the middle of the night.

This happens after being properly shutdown, and the lid is securely closed.  Sometimes the feather touch media buttons are flashing when this happens.   

When the laptop turns itself on in the middle of the night, the three media keys that are illuminated abnormally are -

Volume Mute - Flashing

Volume Down - Illuminated Permanently

Volume Up - Flashing in sync with Mute

This problem means I have to remove my battery every evening to prevent it being completely drained the following day. I turn my wireless system off every night.

Another thread here...

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19211942/19346794.aspx#19346794

Dell say it' s very unusual, and won't give me my money back.  They have changed the system board and media keys hinge cover today.  I'll see if that works...

Anyone have these symptoms?  There seems to be a lot of problems with the media keys on other threads, any ideas?

Thanks

Roy

May 27th, 2009 14:00

One other possibility is the webcam driver if it's installed, others have had issues after windows updates that driver, if you have one roll back the driver and try it.

All,

I suspect one of two possibilities, the power button circuitry is flakey as in design flaw or one of the multimedia buttons is bringing the unit up via a software issue. A possible test of  the first is to bring the unit up in safe mode or  reduced driver mode using msconfig and close the lid or manualy suspend and see if it wakes, the second, and I know Dell wouldn't recommend this, is to try getting Ubuntu and creating a live cd and booting to it. Once it's up suspend the unit under Ubuntu and see if it starts back up, if it does it's the unit, if not it's the software somewhere in the power management.

1 Message

This exact same thing is happening to my Dell Studi 15 I bought in August.  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2 Posts

May 30th, 2009 09:00

Dell originally collected my Studio and replaced the hinge cover, but it had the same fault when returned.  They sent an engineer out who replaced the system board and the hinge cover - and it's been OK since!

2 Posts

July 29th, 2009 18:00

Same issue just started happening with my Studio 17 purchased at Christmas.  Set to Sleep when lid is closed.  Worked just fine until just recently.  Now I close the lid, and come back an hour later and it is running my screensaver.  This leaves the poor thing running all the time.  It cannot be good.  If I select Sleep from the start menu when I am done for the day this seems to work.  Should not have to do that however.  I have only run the powercfg command and have same response that power button is culprit.  Not the case, I am always the last one to bed in this house.  Need some ideas please!

No Events found!