Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2010 20:00

Studio 17 integrated webcam not working

Hi Everybody,

On my Studio 17 laptop, I've had to re-install Windows 7 from scratch and I've been able to find all of the appropriate drivers and software for everything except the integrated web-cam. I have what I believe to be the appropriate Dell Web-cam software package (a set-up file called "DellWebcamSW.exe") and the correct driver (called "R160323.exe") but neither seem to work.

Whenever I try to install the Webcam software I get a message that "Dell web-cam central is not detected on my system." Do I have to have a second program first?

The driver file unpacks and appears to install properly, but when I look at my device manager window, it still reads that web cam is handled by a Microsoft driver. I have uninstalled the Microsoft driver then tried to install the Dell patch, but have had no luck with that either.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 28th, 2010 10:00

ilikestuff,

Did you install the drivers in order?

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Did you use the disk that came with the computer? Did you try installing the drivers in the Compatibility Mode?

Rick 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

James,

With XP/Vista, you had to install the desktop/Notebook Utility first, then the chipset drivers or the rest of the drivers would fail to install. Since this is a Windows 7 machine, if there are no Windows 7 drivers, then install the Vista drivers, that match your operating system, in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

3 Posts

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response.

Perhaps I should have been more clear, the re-installation  of Windows was from the recovery disk provided with the laptop, rather than a normal Windows 7 install DVD (I'm not 100% certain what the differences between the two are though). I then installed the sound card drivers from a second disk provided by Dell followed the wireless network card drivers from that same disk.

The last things I installed were the video card drivers and software taken from the manufacturer's (ATI) website. At this point everything is working fine except the web-cam.

When looking under-device manager, the web-cam was listed as detected, but being handled by a Microsoft driver.

I haven't tried to do anything with compatibility mode yet, I'll do that as soon as I have time.

Thanks again for the help,

James.

10 Posts

June 13th, 2011 18:00

Rick- I had tried that before, but it did not work.. this time it did! I don't know what the difference was this time, but that driver in the link finally worked. I did notice that it said during the installation something about an update. Also my AVG trial ended the other day so perhaps its firewall was preventing it earlier? I'm not really sure, but it works now. Only problem is it's not recognizing Mozilla Firefox websites that have logon pages (I had this problem before and I think it has something to do with an add-on. If you know a quick fix for that as well I'd appreciate it, but if not I'm sure I can figure it out with some research). Thanks again!!

10 Posts

June 13th, 2011 18:00

Also just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. Oops. It was in reference to the one I had started (but dealt with the same problem)

June 7th, 2012 23:00

For webcam to work, download and Install the latest webcam driver from Dell website http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection. Select "Choose from a list of all Dell products" and then choose "laptops" and then just choose your laptop model. OR enter the service tage number which is 5 or 7 digits/letters written on a white label somewhere on or beneath ur laptop. Choose ur Windows version and choose "Input"  in the "Category" list. Download the driver where you can find this sentence

Applies to:

After installing the driver, restart.

For example this is the webcam driver for DELL Studio 1735  http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?driverID=CC4XT  .

Then, download the Dell Webcam Central  (148M). Open it and it will unzip its contents to some location on the hard desk (u can choose the location). Go to this location and open the folder DWCentral. Then, click on setup. If u need the mic, open the folder named AAFXE and click on setup. Then, Restart ur laptop. 

Open the Dell Webcam Central program and enjoy the video. If it worked, then the video on Skype will work too. If the video did not work on  Dell Webcam Central program, the do this:

Click on Record Videos tap (upper left). Then, click on the yellow Record button with camera drawn on it (lower central). This will start recording. Then, after 10 seconds, press on the same yellow button to stop recording. Then, a video file shape will appear on the rectangle below the yellow button, Press on this video file shape and camer will work.

No Events found!