Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2012 15:00

Studio 1735 w/ Optiarc AD-7640S Issue.

Good day! I recently upgraded my Studio 1735 Laptop to Windows 7 HP 64 Bit from an OEM DVD and began to run into a bit of an issue. Backstory is that the unit has an Optiarc AD-7640S drive installed. In the BIOS, during POST, and all throughout the install it will load and eject CDs happily all day long.

However, once inside Windows, It will load and eject a DVD/CD EXACTLY one time, after that if you load another CD/DVD the unit becomes totally unresponsive, to the point where it hangs the OS. you can try to shutdown but it hangs on SHUTTING DOWN with the circle spinning forever. The OS is still running, but eveything is just totally stuck on something after that. You can't get to the drive to try to eject it from the OS because it never comes up with the menus, if you press the Eject button on the touchpad, it blinks and fades out while the hardware doesn't respond.

I have already updated the firmware to the latest available from the Dell website. all of the drivers, including chipset, are installed and nothing is showing up as uninstalled and/or not working in Device Manager. This is a totally clean install of Win7 that had been done yesterday with only minimal software installed (The problem was occuring in windows 7 before ANYTHING was installed, however.)

BIOS has the drive set to stock of AHCI mode as opposed to ATA.

This is becoming a real nuisance. Any and All help would be greatly appreciated. I've pored over tens of different sites, forums and posts looking for an answer for this and nothing definitive has come up. The only lead I haven't followed is one that suggested I install the "Intel storage matrix" software.

January 27th, 2012 11:00

well, I guess this is getting about as fixed as it's getting. After disassembly, reassembly, removing and swapping parts, putting hours of my own time into this issue, finally uninstalling win7x64 and reinstalling vista because dell's fabulous bios update software doesn't work under win7 and doesn't have a boot or dos flash option. flashing the BIOS in vista, reinstalling win7. . .

I finally got it to the point where it sort of works.

It still freaks out if you try to eject a disc using the media buttons while it is figuring out (initializing) the disc, locking up the whole OS. as long as you're patient and babysit your laptop, i guess everything works fine.

Great product and thanks for all the help guys! I will surely be considering dell in the future as it's obviously a high quality product with a userbase that has great pride of ownership.

January 25th, 2012 15:00

*AHCI as opposed to IDE, rather.

January 25th, 2012 21:00

Bump. Any help is appreciated. 

January 27th, 2012 08:00

UPDATE: Pulled the little touch strip off the laptop, disc ejects in windows happily all day long, Am i missing software/driver/settings for that strip, somehow?

No Events found!