Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2009 08:00

Studio 1737 - Enable Intel Virtualization Technology??

I'm starting to think I made a bad choice in picking this laptop - although after reviewing some of the posts... perhaps just in choosing a Dell in general for a laptop this time around.  But I'm really hoping that Dell will be supporting this model and releasing a BIOS update that is more substantial than the A06 revision - which does very little at all (and nothing feature-wise).

I purchased the Studio 17 with a C2D processor for two purposes - work and play - as far as allowing dual hard drives... it's a great fit for my needs.  However, despite the processor and chipset both supporting Intel Virtualization Technology - there is no way to enable it in the bios, and it seems to be turned off by default.  Is it possible that there is a software utility that would allow me to set this feature in BIOS - or better yet, a BIOS update that will allow this feature to be turned on and off.

My friend has a Lenovo which was about the same price which has a much more feature-rich BIOS, despite being built with virtually identical components.  I really like the styling of the Studio line, and have had great luck with Dell laptops (and desktops for that matter since I've rolled out 40 or so over the past couple years) - but I'm starting to think I made a mistake with this one.

If someone can't give me an option for a utility or BIOS revision release date, can you at least tell me which Dell laptops DO actually support Intel Virtualization??  Or more accurately, actually have the ability to turn it on - since it's already present in almost every laptop you sell currently... but not able to be used.

November 30th, 2009 10:00

John, Which version of the P8400 did you get.  It looks like there are three available?

Thanks,

Monte

3 Posts

December 1st, 2009 17:00

Monte,

I got SLB3R one. Virtualization option showed up in BIOS right after CPU swap... System is running way better than with T5800 and all OS's are a breeze...

J.

December 2nd, 2009 13:00

John,

Can you post the link where you got the processor.  I need to upgrade as well...

Thanks,

Monte

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 19:00

Well... I got mine on ebay.ca (as I am Canadian Eh! :emotion-2:) just search for P8400.

I checked CPU here http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35569

J.

October 16th, 2015 09:00

(never mind the old version of this post)

The original CPU in my 1737 was a Core Duo T5800, which the Intel site listed as not having VT-x (why would they even bother making a Core CPU w/o VT-x, I can't figure out).  Found a "parts machine" Inspiron 1520 I had (this one from my sister-in-law rather than the Studio being from my mother-in-law) had a T7250.  Did a processor swap, now VMs work on the Studio (the Inspiron still works with the T5800 as well, it's functional except for the broken LCD).

The question is what processor swaps the Studio 1737 can support.  The T5800 and T7250 are both 2ghz processors, so compatibility was quite likely.  But would a 2.6 processor like the T7800 or T9500 work as well?

No Events found!