Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2012 20:00

Studio 1737 Windows 7 Bluetooth driver download...

Hello,

Since I've lived through this frustrating nightmare I thought I'd put this in the forum so others might not have as difficult a time. This is in reference to: Finding, downloading and installing a Windows 7 compatible bluetooth (Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard) driver on a Dell Studio 1737 laptop. I bought my 1737 with 64-bit Vista on it, which worked fine, with a coupon for an upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7 when it was available. Here's the thing, the Windows 7 upgrade disks DO NOT include a driver for the bluetooth and no Windows 7 bluetooth drivers are listed on the Dell driver download site. The Vista drivers do not work under 7. After much searching and messing around I finally found this:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats/Product/alienware-m17x-r2?DriverId=P4XW4&FileId=2935066754&urlProductCode=False

Dell file R246770.exe

It lists it's compatibility as:

Systems
Alienware Laptop M17xR2
Latitude E6400
Operating Systems
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit

However it installs and works fine on a Dell Studio 1737 running 64-bit Windows 7. I hope this helps anyone having the same issue.

August 21st, 2012 09:00

Hi Jack,

We really appreciate you taking time to help us with the resolution.

I hope this would definitely help fellow community members.

January 11th, 2013 21:00

Oh... it also looks like more than one Bluetooth chipset is used in the 1737's so this fix doesn't work on all of them... just the ones with the Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard. From what I've seen there are versions of the 1737 with a Broadcom card included... unless the one I have is simply a re-branded Broadcom.

But some 1737's ask for the user to turn on the Bluetooth card during the install of the driver I used. It asks no such question when I install it. It just installs and works.

None the less not being able to download these drivers from the driver site is really disconcerting.

January 11th, 2013 21:00

Thanks... I'm always happy to help out the community supporting the machines I've used and loved since the mid 80s.

Is there any chance you're going to be adding the Windows 7 32&64bit drivers to the driver download page?

1 Message

October 10th, 2013 04:00

Hello Jack,

More than year passed since your note & you're still helping :) your instruction was very helpfull for me as tried connected by bluetooth device and it turned out it doesn't work.

took me about 5 min to make it work - so thank you again :) 

4 Posts

October 11th, 2013 23:00

Trying to prep my 1737 for win7-64.  This will help.

Seems like the Intel_GM-PM45_ver8.7.0.1007-A00_2000-XP-Vista-32-64bit_R192750.exe is working under win7 as well (my long version name, Rxxxx doesn't hack it with me).

Thanks

1 Message

March 8th, 2014 18:00

I seriously wish I could hop through my computer and hug you!

I spent hours looking for this driver... thank god I wasn't the only one who has looked for it!

Thank you again!

21 Posts

June 26th, 2014 22:00

I know the word 'frustration' after trying all day on Dell, etc to find out why the Bluetooth on my Studio laptop won't work. Pages and pages of more and more about less and less of what I need. Thank you for the lead. I did download the file, now if I can figure how to get it to work, I'll be in hog heaven. Nothing like knowing that Bluetooth WAS on the computer before and then finding out now it isn't found. How in the world can that be? Dell really has one mess in it's support department. Wouldn't it be nice if they would have a 'search' so that it would make it a whole lot easier? But they are becoming more and more like Microsoft, no answers, nothing wrong at their end, EVER.

1 Message

October 5th, 2014 11:00

Thanks for putting in that work

21 Posts

October 5th, 2014 12:00

All I can say is that I put in too much work to get things to ,work on my Dell laptop.  Then the BIOS crashed when trying to 'update' it through a message from Dell, even after reading on the Dell homepage that they would replace/repair the BIOS one time for any of their computers.  I ended up spending so much time arguing with Dell support and then them refusing to call me back day after day like they said they would.  All I got was they would no longer support my Dell, several emails telling me they couldn't contact me on the phone during the two hours a day they said they would call when I sat there for longer than that time period with the phone in my hand. Dell has completely lost my faith in the products AND their support (lack of).  I read so many other comments about Dell's failure to do anything to support their customers, such as I who have purchased at least 6 Dell laptops over time.  I took it in to get it fixed at an independent repair facility and they were honest, unlike Dell, in that it would be cheaper to buy a new computer than to get this worthless Dell fixed. I took them at their word, they removed the hard drive and downloaded all the files to portable memory sticks for me, then gave me the whole mess back so that I could take it home and beat the out of it with a hammer.  Then I went and bought a new HP Pavilion that works so well it makes me wonder why I ever bought a Dell in the first place.  I can tell you this, I will NEVER spend another dollar on a Dell product. It made me feel good to prevent another person from having to go through what I went through with Dell. So twice now I have been happy about not only me not spending money on Dell, but also in this case another person. In my eyes, Dell has completely failed as a quality product, and a huge failure in a support site that does absolutely nothing but tell you they tried to contact you when they really didn't.  So not only did they fail to help me with my/their problems, they appear to also have lied to me for their lack of return calls and support. I'm happy now, my HP works great and has all the features, INCLUDING Bluetooth.  It's great to have a computer that also provides what a consumer wants and needs.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 6th, 2014 04:00

It seems a bit extreme. The Studio 1737 works flawlessly with Windows 7 64 Bit. If you had spent time posting on the forums before taking it to the computer repair shop and destroying it we could have helped you out opposed to just posting to complain about phone support. Unofficial support on the forums is often better than official support especially for older models. I have compiled a complete Windows 7 64 Bit driver set here for example:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/driver-sets/studio-laptops/studio-1737-windows-7-64-bit/

You'll get the same issues with HP after a few years if you decide to migrate to later versions of Windows.

3 Posts

October 11th, 2014 13:00

Had to replace my hard drive and this is one of the drivers I couldn't find. Very much appreciated!! [<:o)]

October 11th, 2014 15:00

21 Posts

October 11th, 2014 15:00

21 Posts

October 11th, 2014 17:00

Wrong again.  I am focusing on the topic.  You are the troll just making negative comments when someone posts something that hurts your feelings.  Do you understand the difference? I don't think you do.  If you're not trolling why keep addressing me with something that has nothing to do with this forum topic?  No friends to talk to?

21 Posts

October 11th, 2014 17:00

No Events found!