Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 23:00

Studio - Jammed Touch Sensitive Eject Button

Evening all,

The touch sensitive eject button on my new Studio 15 laptop appears to be stuck on. When I reboot the laptop, the media control lights flash back and forth as normal. However, the CD drive immediately ejects and the eject button light stays permanently on. This all happens the second the laptop comes on - long before it boots into Vista. This makes me suspect a hardware rather than software issue.

None of the other touch sensitive media controls work.

I've tried cleaning the button, checking for dirt under and on the button and rebooting the laptop. I also rested it overnight.

I only got the laptop on Friday.

Any ideas?

7 Posts

December 19th, 2008 13:00

This is a common hardware problem in the Studio line.  Reinstalling the OS will not fix the problem.  Removing the battery is not the solution either.  The problem is related to the Media Console and its cable connection to the motherboard.

I find it amazing that Dell does not provide a way to turn off the console or that they have so many units with this problem.

December 27th, 2008 09:00

Even I too have the same problem and my laptop is just a week old :(

I can reproduce the problem of cd/dvd eject button lighting up. It happens after you keep the laptop idle for atleast half to one hour and when you start the machine it would be on for sometime till the bios is done. I feel its a BIOS problem and might not be a hardware problem. My BIOS revision is A07.

Is there any fix dell can provide? It might be a bios or a hardware problem.

78 Posts

December 27th, 2008 16:00

hi, cant believe this is still ongoing.  i've had 3 studio 15 laptops since mid sept all with this problem and others.  i am getting my final replacement on wed 31 dec (final either way - it'll be perfect or full refund).

i'm disgusted and so frustrated by dell and their inferior products and poor support, if anyone is considering buying these beware as they have faults which aren't being addressed.

29 Posts

December 27th, 2008 19:00

Well I'm on my first replacement 1575 and it has the same problem.  I just plugged it in and everything was fine until it went to sleep.  Once it woke up from sleep, the volume up touch button was stuck lit and the volume advanced to the highest setting.  At this time, none of the other buttons or stuck volume up button would work.  I had to reboot the laptop and then the cd eject was stuck on.

I'm also at 07 BIOS.

I'll call dell again monday.  The studios have been out for several months now and its amazing it's not fixed yet.

December 27th, 2008 21:00

What would you guys suggest me to do? I don't know how to demonstrate this problem as it happens in infrequently and only when it is off for some time. Can I get a complete refund?

December 28th, 2008 01:00

There is another way to debug this I guess. Can you guys tell me what exactly happens when the light gets stuck?

In my case it usually happens when the panel initializes .. i.e. when during a boot or during waking up from sleep or hibernate. So that means the lights go from left to right and right to left (from mediaconnect icon to eject and from eject to mediaconnect icon).

If this is the case with most of the people can we safely agree that the problem happens when it initializes?

December 28th, 2008 08:00

Hmm. Does it happen during normal usage and running of the laptop?

78 Posts

December 28th, 2008 08:00

yes i agree when i power on from cold the eject button lights up and stays on no other media keys work til it goes out.  it does happen from wake up from sleep also and my sound on/off media key won't work at all if i restart.

29 Posts

December 28th, 2008 09:00

No, it appears to only be a problem on boot or wakeup from hibernate/sleep.

Mine just had the CD button stuck on (other buttons unusable at this time) for about 30 seconds after resume from sleep.

29 Posts

December 28th, 2008 10:00

Yes I believe this is a firmware/bios issue.

This laptop which has 07 BIOS (first one had 06) does operate a little differently.  The eject button stays lit following wakeup, but it doesn't attempt to actually eject a disc which the first studio did. 

However, as my first post noted, I have had the volume up (next button closest to eject) get stuck ON and it actually kept increasing the volume until I rebooted.

December 28th, 2008 10:00

So shouldn't it be a software problem in the bios? If by any chance some of the wires may have been messing around with the touch sensitive buttons it would have caused problems when during normal operation too rather than just waking up from cold boot,hibernate or sleep.

29 Posts

December 30th, 2008 12:00

Here are a few videos of the problem(s):

Stuck CD Eject (stuck for 2 minutes after wakeup):

Stuck Volume Up:

Dell tech is coming this week to replace the top cover and palm rest (left mouse button doesn't work).  Note that this is the replacement laptop for the first studio which had the stuck cd-eject problem.

11 Posts

December 30th, 2008 18:00

This "Solution" does work, however we need a real solution :emotion-1: .

It does again occur whenever the computer comes back from sleep mode, not sure about any other OS but its happenning in Vista Home Premium 64-bit that I have.

Also, I did get Blue Screens as well, when I tried to shut down the system.

~Cheers

29 Posts

December 30th, 2008 20:00

No one should consider turning off the computer and waiting for some period of time a "solution".

January 3rd, 2009 21:00

I think I have a solution, it seems to have worked for me. First, I upgraded my BIOS to A06 which initially didn't make a difference. Then I went back into BIOS setup and changed my boot order to put the DVD drive first/HDD second/USB third/and floppy fourth. No problems since then, I'll post again if it happens again.

No Events found!