Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 23:00

Studio - Jammed Touch Sensitive Eject Button

Evening all,

The touch sensitive eject button on my new Studio 15 laptop appears to be stuck on. When I reboot the laptop, the media control lights flash back and forth as normal. However, the CD drive immediately ejects and the eject button light stays permanently on. This all happens the second the laptop comes on - long before it boots into Vista. This makes me suspect a hardware rather than software issue.

None of the other touch sensitive media controls work.

I've tried cleaning the button, checking for dirt under and on the button and rebooting the laptop. I also rested it overnight.

I only got the laptop on Friday.

Any ideas?

178 Posts

August 4th, 2008 00:00

For all issues before 21 days have elapsed since you received the laptop, you should immediately call Dell Support and have your issue resolved. In your case you may want the touch fascia replaced and/or the PCB under it replaced.

This is the time period for which you may return your laptop for ANY reason for a full refund; don't settle for anything less than a fully functional product!

3 Posts

August 4th, 2008 13:00

Thanks Leward.

I've been in contact with Dell Technical Support. They have DellConnected a few times to try and solve the problem, but with no luck. An engineer is coming to my house tomorrow to try and fix it.

Dell seem to be stubbornly sticking to the idea it is a software problem, but given how quickly the problem occurs when the laptop is switched on, I'm very cynical. On the other hand, I'd rather exhaust all the easy fix options before giving in to the idea I'll be waiting another 2 weeks for my new laptop! 

It is a shame it is against forum rules to mention service agents' names as mine has been really helpful. If you know who you are, thank you!

1 Message

August 16th, 2008 14:00

I recently bought a Studio 1535 and I’ve not even had it for a week yet and every time I turn it on after its been off for more than 8 or 9 hours the light for the eject button is automatically lit up, then once windows has started the eject button stays lit up and for about 5 to 10 minutes and none of the touch sensitive buttons work, then eventually the CD drive will eject what ever is in there and the light on the eject button will go off and all the buttons will work normally.  I’m finding this incredibly annoying.

Unplugging the battery and AC adapter for 10 minutes does not solve this issue.

14 Posts

August 29th, 2008 01:00

I'm actually having the exact same problem anyone have any ideas?.

9 Posts

September 5th, 2008 14:00

Hello.

I had the same problem on vista ultimate. So I installed XP and everything works fine except remote control. Next I installed vista premium and I had no problems since.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2008 18:00

I'm having the exact same problem as well.  Only received the machine on Thursday and it's getting on my nerves.  Love the machine otherwise.  

October 25th, 2008 16:00

I am having the same issue too with my two-day old Studio 15.  It starts up OK from a complege shutdown, but typically when it comes out of "Sleep" mode the Eject light is on and stays on.  While it is on, no other controls on the media panel work.  A few minutes later, the CD/DVD drive "ejects" (even though there was nothing in it), then the light goes off a few seconds later and everything works normally again.

October 25th, 2008 17:00

I just "chatted" with tech support, and they recommended turning off *all* startup items, saying that would fix it.  I have started by only turning off all startup items that are in a "Dell" folder, and so far I have not been able to get the problem to re-occur.  Over the next few days I will progressively turn things back on and see if I can narrow down which program seems to be the culprit.

14 Posts

October 26th, 2008 02:00

Where do you find these startup items and where is this folder? Do you mean the "run msconfig" thing? This sounds interesting and I would like to experiment as well.

October 26th, 2008 12:00

That's right:

1) Start / Run... / MSCONFIG

2) Click on the Startup tab

3) Expand the width of the "Command" column so you can better see which folder each one uses, or move your mouse over each item and wait until you see a tooltip with the full description.

4) Uncheck whichever ones you do NOT wish to have run (I am trying everything Dell-related at the moment).

5) Click OK

October 26th, 2008 22:00

Well, with all the Dell options turned off, I have been busily working away with the computer operating normally, then out of the blue, the CD drive went into an eject cycle (my hands were nowhere near the Media buttons) - after which the light stayed on for 5-10 minutes, then it went through 4 or 5 eject cycles, after which the light turned off again.

So, I am about to try turning off some other items in the startup list...

October 27th, 2008 15:00

I turned off ALL items in the Startup menu, rebooted, and the problem just occurred again: series of eject cycles at a random time.  So, back to Tech Support.

I came across this post too, which may be of interest:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_cdrom&thread.id=63913&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

Message Edited by gwfyarm on 10-27-2008 12:08 PM

November 26th, 2008 06:00

I too have purchased a dell studio 1537 laptop with them same problems! Its sooo annoying and i'm beginning to regret buy this from dell!!:emotion-12:

13 Posts

December 15th, 2008 21:00

Go to this thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19243676/19381570.aspx#19381570

It is related to problems with the touchpad in the Studio series.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2008 18:00

Okay,  I'm gonna try and tell you guys the info I know.

I recently came across the touch sensative button problem.  They Didnt work, The cooling fan would run at full speed, the bois page on startup would go slow,  sometimes when shifted the laptop on  my lap it would start doing the problem.  Please feel free to ask questions.

The Correction:

Removing the media control buttons with the two screws under the battery.  Then pry up on the media buttons to unsnap them.  Once it is loose carefully fold the media button on top the keyboard.  Here is what to look for:  ANYWHERE THE RIBBON CAN TOUCH METAL.  LOOK AT THE RIBBON CAREFULLY.  MINE WAS TOUCHING A PIECE OF THE CHASSIS FOR A WIRE CLIP THAT WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THE RIBBON CLAMP ON THE MEDIA BUTTONS. (OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE EJECT BUTTON)  PLEASE LOOK CAREFULLY.  I PUT A PIECE OF SCOTCH TAPE ON THE RIBBON AND THE METAL CHASSIS TO KEEP THEM FROM RUBBING. 

If you need pics I will try.

Please spread the word.  I know there are more posts about this.  Mine has been working excellent for 4 weeks.  Helped clear up some other problems too.

Thanks Everyone.

No Events found!