Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2009 20:00

Studio XPS 13 Video/Audio Stuttering

-Lagging/Stuttering video and audio on battery power
-15 second yellow/red latency spikes in DPC

I apologize if this is a rehash of other threads, but I've searched through so many now, they've all pretty much blurred together. Sorry for the length of this post as well...I really just want to get this problem fixed.

I received my new Studio XPS 13 laptop 6 days ago. The laptop came with the A11 BIOS revision already installed, but I reinstalled it just in case. I have the NVIDIA GeForce 9500M video card with the 8.15.11.8628 driver from 6/26/09 installed. I also have the Dell Wireless 1510 N Mini-Card (5.10.38.26, 10/22/08).

The main problem I've noticed so far is lagging/stuttering whenever I watch videos, regardless of whether it's online streaming via YouTube or a standalone .avi file. After maybe 2-3 minutes of play, the video freezes for a few seconds and I hear a "de-de-de" sound, almost like a skipping CD. Then the video will resume, sometimes slightly off-sync with the audio.

This stuttering problem only occurs when I'm on battery power in Balanced or Power Saver Mode. I haven't seen it on High Performance mode yet or when I'm on AC power. The graphics mode is in Save Power mode, although I think I had the problem on Boost Performance as well. I travel a lot so I would really like to keep the battery usage as low as possible to avoid having to recharge it constantly.

I'm not sure if this is related to the latency problem that others have been having regarding scratches and pops in their audio. I've only played mp3s using Winamp and so far, nothing out of the ordinary with that.

Using the DPC latency program, I've noticed that I get mostly yellow, occasionally red spikes every 15 seconds. I read that disabling the ACPI battery driver helps and when I do, I get solid green bars on the DPC output. I haven't seen the stuttering with this driver disabled, but I just feel like maybe it could happen at any time...

Is anyone else having this same issue?
Is there a PERMANENT solution to this without having to disable drivers?
Is it even ok to run the laptop for extended periods of time with the ACPI battery driver disabled?

Disabling the wireless card does not fix the 15 second spikes either. Please help! I prefer not to constantly run my laptop at maximum on battery power.

Other than this issue, I've had no other problems. It's a great laptop and I'd love to keep using it, but I've still got a couple of weeks to return it if there's no solution. I've been surfing around in circles trying to figure this out so I appreciate any help. Please lead me in the right direction. Thanks!

*Edit to add: I'm using Vista 64-bit

6 Posts

October 17th, 2009 06:00

Hey theace,

I have the same laptop (1340) and am experiencing the same issue as you. Please post back if you figured out a solution to this. I run XBMC on my laptop to watch media and when running on battery it randomly causes the video to hang up. The only difference on my end is about 75% of the time it causes the video to be caught in an endless stuttering hang that only gets resolved with a CTRL-ALT-DEL and killing the process in task manager.

I initially thought it might be a bad build of XBMC and so I tested watching video in VLC and it yields the exact same result (video hangs up).

I've put all of the latest drivers and am running the latest bios. Only difference is I'm running Windows 7 64-bit (Beta). I have a separate laptop that is a Lattitude D800 also running Windows 7 (but 32-bit) and it does not have this issue.

Let me know if you've had any luck fixing this - I'll post back if I figure anything out.

Thanks.

1 Message

January 16th, 2010 21:00

I have the studio xps 1340 with the same configurations as you guys.  I recently installed windows 7 ultimate RTM 64bit, and I have the exact same problem watching videos, whether they are streaming or as a file on it.  I really can't stand it, stuttering every minute, RUINS my video experience.  If there is no permanent solution, can you tell me how u uninstalled the ACPI battery driver?  Thanks

16 Posts

March 11th, 2010 10:00

I'm just wondering if you ever found a solution to this?

1 Message

March 24th, 2010 09:00

I also have the same problem.  I had Vista 64-bit when it was shipped and now have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  The same problem is occurring with the new operating system.  Please contact me if a solution is found.

2 Posts

May 5th, 2010 11:00

i have exactly the same problem with my dell studio xps 1340. running on battery and streaming media from internet causes every 2-3 minutes video and sound cutting off or skip. Angry . i found that it happens when when hard disc goes off and then back on. any ideas? a tried everything. running on windows 7- 32. nvidia graphic card gf9500m. help please.

2 Posts

June 21st, 2010 11:00

Hi,

I am not using the same version of Dell laptop. But I had a similar problem: The sound of laptop was working only for 10 seconds when running on battery whatever I do. I found that correcting power options of "PCI express" resolved the issue.

Hope it can help you too.

Control panel>Power options>Change plan settings>Change advanced power settings>PCI express>Link State Power Management>On battery

16 Posts

June 21st, 2010 12:00

Gultepee,

When you get to the 'On Battery,' what did you change it to? I have three options: 1. maximum power saving, 2. Moderate power saving, 3. off.

Thanks for your help!

2 Posts

June 21st, 2010 13:00

F or some reason my settings was: battery on "maximum power setting" and plugged in on "moderate" . Changed the battery one to "moderate power settings" and plugged in to "off".

Works fine now. Best of luck with your laptop.

No Events found!